sig fig q again (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
1682412012467.png
How many sig figs would you guys say, answer gives me 3 sig fig (but i think it's 1, because of the 0.1 M in q)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I do agree with @Galactic Drama, but unfortunately this is a bad question and open to interpretation.

The sig fig for an answer should only be to the least sig fig of any measurement performed, but it could be argued that this applies to measurements performed within the practical exercise and commercial grade reagents are often just described as 6M or 0.1M. If I came across a situation like this in an exam, I’d first give my answer to 3 s.f. and then add an answer to 1 s.f. stating that it depended on the source and preparation of the starting reagents.

indeed

HSC
I do agree with @Galactic Drama, but unfortunately this is a bad question and open to interpretation.

The sig fig for an answer should only be to the least sig fig of any measurement performed, but it could be argued that this applies to measurements performed within the practical exercise and commercial grade reagents are often just described as 6M or 0.1M. If I came across a situation like this in an exam, I’d first give my answer to 3 s.f. and then add an answer to 1 s.f. stating that it depended on the source and preparation of the starting reagents.
Oh ok, thank you 👍

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)