Simple Motor Question (1 Viewer)

gfcardinio

HSC
Hello all,

I need help with this Physics question that showed up in the Trial.

As shown, since the angle of the coil with the magnetic lines is 40° I thought the force on the wire AB would be less than maximum. The marking criteria also says to include the sin 40° but according to my teacher it should be sin 90°. I know why it is so - the wire is still perpencicular to the lines of magnetic flux when drawing a diagram as I had attempted in the far right of the image.

So what is the right answer and why?

(To the best of my knowledge, the security period on this paper has finished)

scan0007.jpg

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
90 degrees. The best way to visualise this is to consider the top view. You will see as it rotates, it will be always perpendicular to the magnetic field even though the plane of the coil is inclined 40 degrees.

Sindivyn

HSC
You could claim that your 9's look like 4's, and you typed it into the calculator wrong, but yeah, it's 90 degrees as spiral said.

gfcardinio

HSC
So if they said to calculate torque on the coil, I would enter cos 40°? Could somebody explain this, compared to finding force on the wire?

Sindivyn

HSC
So if they said to calculate torque on the coil, I would enter cos 40°? Could somebody explain this, compared to finding force on the wire?
Yeah, to calculate the torque on the coil you use the angle between the magnetic field and the PLANE of the coil (in this case; 40 degrees). As a result, torque is constantly changing.

To calculate force, however, you use the angle between the CURRENT and the magnetic field (in motors/generators this is always 90 degrees). As a result, force is constantly constant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)