• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Simple Study Tips that worked for me... (1 Viewer)

purebladeknight

HSC
Hey guys:jump:

Here are some tips that i would like to share, mainly to help others as a learning curve i discovered after being burnt by fire.... no literally

STUDYING = Don't bother cramming... I've tried it for most of my school life and it has never yielded any good results compared to trying to understand all the concepts being tested and that leads me to my next tip:

LEARNING = when learning any concept in any subject building a picture of whats going in your mind instead of memorising leads to success. You can create many things by expanding on this basic process of building a mind map - I use to rote learn up until year eleven and never came close to being in the top 20, but after utilising this simple process of building a mental picture of the concept, it literally lifted me into top 5 for all my subjects and suprisingly i never had to study!!! Though now half way through year twelv i am beginning to study now as just relying on this alone isn't enough to keep you in the top 5.

PREPARATION = When the exams are coming up, make sure you SLEEP EARLY and EAT BREAKFAST. I learn't this the hard way and it isn't worth taking the risk. You just can't concentrate partly due to the dizziness and fatigue.

IMPROVING
= There is only one way to get better and that is finding the motivation to get better than you already are and if you don't believe this then go touch some fire...:chainsaw:

cheers:jump:

Oh and btw does anyone have their own study tips that they would like to share?

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Cramming has its benefits IMO.

Um, as for other tips ... experimenting with lots of different learning styles is good. Before my HSC exams I was the crazy person walking around the basketball court listening to recordings of my essays and muttering to myself but it worked perfectly - I never forgot a thing. Auditory learning might not help you very much but try out a lot of different styles, not just the old "read and remember", and you might find something great.

Try to work on your notes throughout the year and make them as good as possible. From just writing my notes in Modern History I pretty much got the historical context completely down in one fell swoop and tbh I never really needed to re-read them all that much.

Talk to people about what you're learning. Parents, siblings, classmates are all good. If you can explain a concept to someone and have them understand it then you know you've got a pretty good grasp on it.

For motivation, consider where you want to be this time next year. Work out four ways that you can make it happen. Now aim for your number 1 route. This gives you a challenge but it also gives you security so if you don't make it you've got three more options to fall back on.

Also, don't get too down on yourself if you can't stick to a study timetable. Experiment with different ways to manage your time instead, like making prioritised to-do lists. Too much negative energy will just sap your motivation.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Summarise, summarise and summarise.

Carry those short summaries with you and review when you are standing in a line, on the toilet, waiting on the phone or those times when you are wasting your life but could be doing something.

Write and rewrite (that was worked for me). Hence, summaries were great. Pictures, too. Draw them in your notes to make visual cues (that's a tip for visual people who think in pictures, like me).

Study in short bursts and get out and DO something physical after you've been studying for a while.

Don't give up sport because it gets you outdoors and actually helps clear your mind for study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)