simplify does that mean.. (2 Viewers)

DivJx

HSC
N/A
When something says simplify does that mean that it should be written in factored form if possible?

DivJx

HSC
N/A
I understand that but does it mean that if the result can be factorised even though it doesn't say to are we expected to write it in factored form.
For example if the once we evaluate a particular question and get an answer of 2xy^2+2yx^2 do we leave it like that or do we write it as: 2xy(y+x) even though the question doesn't say to factorise?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I thought simplifying and factorising are opposites? o.0 For example, simplifying a polynomial would require you to expand all brackets and colelct like terms etc etc while factorising writes a polynomial as the product of its factors?

abcd9146

HSC
airie said:
I thought simplifying and factorising are opposites? o.0 For example, simplifying a polynomial would require you to expand all brackets and colelct like terms etc etc while factorising writes a polynomial as the product of its factors?
to factorise means to use brackets
to expand means to remove brackets

:)

vandy88

HSC
simplfy means to put it in the simplest form possible so you do not factorise but you do take out any foctors that you can without factorising esp in the case of fractions

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
airie said:
Simplifying and factorising aren't really opposites. Expanding is the opposite of factorising and simplify is collecting like terms, as you've said.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Simplify is too broad to be the opposite of factorising; as others have previously said, the correct word to use is expanding.
To simplify is to make something as simple as possible; factorising does not simplify, instead it changes the form. Depending on the question, it MIGHT be wiser to factorise or leave expanded.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
as a general rule of thumb, leave it expanded, in the least number of terms possible. usually, when they want a factorised form, they will either tell u in the question, or have "Show/prove that <insert factorised equation>"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)