Simpson / Trapezodial Rule (1 Viewer)

Slowness

HSC
Hi All,

Could someone please explain the difference between ordinates, subintervals and function values to do with Simpson / Trapezodial Rule.

Many Thanks

hscishard

HSC
Can someone tell me why it is important? Because it only estimates area and is a lot more complex.
Why use simpsons rule when you can just use the quick and easy Fundamental theorem.

Slowness

HSC
Can someone tell me why it is important? Because it only estimates area and is a lot more complex.
Why use simpsons rule when you can just use the quick and easy Fundamental theorem.
Cos its in the Syllabus

EDIT: It also gives you marks :rolleyes:

ar7

HSC
if your not given an an equation to apply integration then you use simpsons rule. simpsons rule serves an easier real-life application to finding area of obscure shapes.

bouncing

HSC
i thought that simpsons/trapezoidal were to estimate functions that cannot be solved normally

umm this is my understanding of it:
sub-intervals are the number of "strips" (tahts what they usually call it in my school exams)
function values is always 1 greater than the number of strips

so 4 strips = 5 function values
and h=b-a/n

hscishard

HSC
if your not given an an equation to apply integration then you use simpsons rule. simpsons rule serves an easier real-life application to finding area of obscure shapes.
Aha...I just saw a question like that on a hsc paper. Had the heights and lengths, used heights as f(a) f(b) ...all that. Thats pretty cool. Too bad it is an approximation. I guess its kind of useful for really big objects (but the bigger the more inaccurate)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)