Singapore (1 Viewer)

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
the context of the quote was LKY was actually a race realist, believed that different human populations differed on average in intellect/temperament, etc

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
how does that post change anything?

he obviously would never in a million years believe that a 100 percent indian singapore would be better than the current one
Just provides a bit more colour to the quote and whether it was around homogeneous vs diverse/multicultural populations in response to your original post of "what did he mean by this?".

I'm not saying I agree/disagree but as someone with cultural ties to the area and having lived/lworked in Singapore, I can understand how some people have formed these views given the history of Singapore and Malaysia.... but I also find it interesting how deliberate the Singaporea government has been in thinking about accepting the multicultural society they have and promoting racial harmony.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Lee Kuan Yew on fertility rates:

“If I were in charge of Singapore today, I would introduce a baby bonus equal to two years' worth of the average Singaporean's salary. The sum would be enough to see the child through to the start of primary school at least. Would I expect the number of babies to increase substantially? No. I am convinced that even super-size monetary inducements would only have a marginal effect on fertility rates. But I would still go ahead and offer the bonus, for at least a year, just to prove beyond any doubt that our low birth rates have nothing to do with economic or financial factors, such as high cost of living or lack of government help for parents.

They are instead the result of changed lifestyles and mindsets. … Once women are educated and have equal job opportunities, they no longer see their primary role as bearing children or taking care of the household. They want to be able to pursue their careers fully just as men have always been able to. They have very different expectations about whether or whom they should marry because they are financially independent. There is no turning back the clock, unless we want to stop educating women.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)