Single degree --> double degree? - years taken? (1 Viewer)

Rawf

HSC
Hey,
So I'm planning on doing commerce at UNSW, and atm I can't really decide what to do a double degree in (or if it's really necessary).
The commerce course is 3 years, but if I wanted to do a double degree... could I choose to do one in my 2nd year and would I need to study an extra year?

EG: I want to do comm/law after first year ends (5 year course). Would i only have to do 4 more years of study? or do I have to do another 5 years? (so that'd be 6 years in total of study)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you transfer over to Comm/Law then you will get credit for the Commerce subjects you completed so you should only have to do 4 more years of study providing pre requisite subjects don't end up making that impossible. As for multiple majors, i have no idea how that stuff works at UNSW but i'd advise against it if you are doing a combined degree.

Rawf

HSC
If you transfer over to Comm/Law then you will get credit for the Commerce subjects you completed so you should only have to do 4 more years of study providing pre requisite subjects don't end up making that impossible. As for multiple majors, i have no idea how that stuff works at UNSW but i'd advise against it if you are doing a combined degree.
Ahh thanks brent.

So there should be no need to study an extra year, just as long as I combine my other degree with my commerce degree? (ie. comm/eco, comm/sci, comm/etc)

Do I only get to choose one major from law and one major than commerce then? :(

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yep, like i said you could end up in a weird situation with prerequisites where you can't actually complete a certain subject without doing another. I wouldn't worry about that though, UNSW seem to run a lot of subjects in summer school so you can always do that if neccesary to graduate "on time".

I can't say for sure for UNSW, but i know at UTS with Business that combined students get one major while straight business students get two. The other disadvantage of combined degrees is that you (usually) don't get electives.

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh thanks brent.

So there should be no need to study an extra year, just as long as I combine my other degree with my commerce degree? (ie. comm/eco, comm/sci, comm/etc)

Do I only get to choose one major from law and one major than commerce then? :(
You don't really get to chose a major for law, just a few electives (8 in total).

And yes, you only get one commerce major if you are undertaking a double degree, with the exception of commerce/economics.

Rawf

HSC
Is there a minimum ATAR requirement for transferring to comm/law in 2nd year uni?

and do you reckon I'd almost be guaranteed a spot into comm @unsw right now (1st pref)? my atar was 98.35 and I have 5 bonus points (103.35)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Yep, like i said you could end up in a weird situation with prerequisites where you can't actually complete a certain subject without doing another. I wouldn't worry about that though, UNSW seem to run a lot of subjects in summer school so you can always do that if neccesary to graduate "on time".

I can't say for sure for UNSW, but i know at UTS with Business that combined students get one major while straight business students get two. The other disadvantage of combined degrees is that you (usually) don't get electives.
Yeah I can confirm this with my brother and my friends at unsw, double degree with comm allows for single majors (comm itself allows 2). Trans4m told me comm/Eco is an exception which allows 2

Rawf

HSC
Yeah I can confirm this with my brother and my friends at unsw, double degree with comm allows for single majors (comm itself allows 2). Trans4m told me comm/Eco is an exception which allows 2
Do I have to complete any major from eco to do a comm/eco degree? I know theres like some subjects you HAVE to complete... but can we complete the double degree by doing just 2 majors in comm or do we have to do a submajor in eco or something? (I'm kinda cbs to look it up in the book I got and I don't really understand this stuff either)

And would it even be beneficial to do that? o_o just to have like.. the qualification?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Is there a minimum ATAR requirement for transferring to comm/law in 2nd year uni?

and do you reckon I'd almost be guaranteed a spot into comm @unsw right now (1st pref)? my atar was 98.35 and I have 5 bonus points (103.35)
Guarantee is usually a hard thing to say lol, but in your case i'm not hesitant at all. You'll be fine even with bonus marks i'd say.

As for transferring, you would be doing an internal transfer and UNSW only take into account WAM (weighted average mark at uni) for internal transfers.

D94

HSC
N/A
If this is just an internal transfer at UNSW, ATAR is not considered. They consider your WAM and you will need around 80 to be reasonably safe (there is a minimum 100 places for internal transfers, and they students with WAMs of around 76-77 were given an offer), but obviously higher the better.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And Summer School ASB/Commerce courses are full fee.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeap but the 2nd major is really narrowed down to a few majors e.g. Business Economics, Financial Economics. If you want to do two majors that are entirely not Economics related, then B Commerce is like only degree that can do that without having to do summer school, overload or lengthen your time at uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)