Skipping lectures? (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
Should you skip lectures? I kind of have wanted to on thursdays, since I just have 2 lectures , and it takes me around 1.5 hours to get there. So 3 hours travel for 2 lectures. Then I can always access the recording online anyway. But I just feel bad to skip anything. I don't have any days off so it takes up a lot of time and I feel like I'm being inefficient and it's not productive.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I skip some and manage to catch up (eventually), but others like to go to them

do what works best for you

hayabusaboston

HSC
I skip everything (no participation compulsory) and I went to uni for lunch one time and met 2 friends and they were like "Holy shit where have you been? back from the dead eh?"

lol

D94

HSC
N/A
Travel reasons are a poor excuse for skipping lectures. There are hundreds of other things you can do whilst at uni or in the city, so if travel is your only reason, then you're either lazy or lazy.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Should you skip lectures? I kind of have wanted to on thursdays, since I just have 2 lectures , and it takes me around 1.5 hours to get there. So 3 hours travel for 2 lectures. Then I can always access the recording online anyway. But I just feel bad to skip anything. I don't have any days off so it takes up a lot of time and I feel like I'm being inefficient and it's not productive.
If you're going to uni just for the lectures then skip them you save 3 hours

hungry

HSC
Travel reasons are a poor excuse for skipping lectures. There are hundreds of other things you can do whilst at uni or in the city, so if travel is your only reason, then you're either lazy or lazy.
It's not that I'm lazy, actually the opposite; it's that I'd be saving a lot of time since I can access them online anyway and use that 3 hours from travel instead to study other things. So it's just that it's more productive. I doubt I'll skip any though because I know I'll feel guilty/not right

thedemonpk3r

HSC
I skipped a lecture today that was 8 o clock in the morning and I was so guilty. Don't know how these people skip lectures all the time.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Depends why you're skipping the lectures. I've got 13 lectures all up this semester, and I'm skipping 7 of them. My lectures aren't recorded like yours, but I manage just fine by going through the content myself. One of my subjects has a lecturer with an indecipherable accent and an inability to explain things, another has half of its lectures that conflict with work commitments, and another is a WAM boosting language subject that I'm already semi-fluent in. I've never been much of an auditory learner; I learn a lot better when I read the course notes for myself. And if there is a concept that I do not understand, I can always go to the consultation hours.

Nevertheless, I still try to go to lectures when I can to save extra work for myself. But I don't feel guilty for skipping lectures every now and then if I need to. So if you feel that the travel is too inconvenient, and that you're not losing too much by watching the lecture at home, then go for it.

D94

HSC
N/A
It's not that I'm lazy, actually the opposite; it's that I'd be saving a lot of time since I can access them online anyway and use that 3 hours from travel instead to study other things. So it's just that it's more productive. I doubt I'll skip any though because I know I'll feel guilty/not right
Theoretically. But instead, you might end up sleeping for an hour longer, spend 30 minutes longer for breakfast/lunch, and just go about your day slower than usual. Soon that supposed 3 hours of time saved is wasted. It's a poor excuse because people rarely spend that time doing anything productive. Why would you do something else productive if the reason you have that time is because you decided to skip something productive?

I know this because I consciously skip lectures (and I travel more than 3 hours a day). For one course, I didn't attend a single lecture (no, I didn't feel guilty...why would I? I made a decision and ended up with a HD). You need to make a judgement call and follow through with your alternate plan. The worst thing you can do is to skip your lecture and fail at your alternate plan for that day.

Ethicks

HSC
I skipped one that the lecturer was running like a tutorial, and last semester I never attended one lecture for a subject and obtained a HD it's quite doable.

engineering

HSC
N/A
You are now an adult who can make choices, and with that choice comes the responsibility of living with the consequences of your actions.

If at the end of the semester you are happy with your results, then great. If you are not happy with your results, then take the responsibility for them.

Then next semester, when the lecturer says "building on from what we did last semester ......... " will you be able to put that in context?

However though, a reasonable question for you to ask is "does the live lecture add value to the content that I could not otherwise get from just looking at echo360 or reading powerpoint".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)