Skrzynecki help PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Seven3121

HSC
hey everyone
i've got an assessment coming up soon and i can't exactly link my texts
my main point at the moment is that physical journeys can be a learning experience where the traveller learns about well anything or something along those lines :)
but the problem is my related texts show that fine but i cant completely tie skrzynecki into it
any help?
I've thought about crossing the red sea but i need to include at least two in the assessment
btw my BOS text is the town where time stands still if that helps

thanks in advance

HSC
What texts are you using?

Also you don't have to relate your texts to Skrzyneckis poems, you could argue that it is NOT like his poems.

Seven3121

HSC
i'm using the town where time stands still from the stimulus booklet
and
either a picture of two people walking to the light at the end of a tunnel or the disney movie cars

HSC
What about the Skzynecki poems? Which two are you using?

Also is your assesment an essay? If it is, you should put more than one arguement.

goldenphoenix1

HSC
turns out i was wrong about a couple things

this is my final writings
accurate detailed, used books, listened to poet
100%
fool proof

texts are listen below

Daniel Evans. 26th of November 2006.
PHYSICAL JOURNEYS

Note: Speech is written in points and is elaborated on during speech, rather than a total dictation of the whole speech, as to cut down on palm cards and glancing at them.

Good Morning/Afternoon Teachers and Classmates. My name is Daniel Evans.
Physical Journeys according to Peter Skrzynecki are ways for people to:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Overcome obstacles eg. Time & Distance
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Extend Themselves physically, intellectually and emotionally
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Learn about human endurance
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Gain knowledge of themselves and the world.

These points are elaborated on in the two texts I have selected:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Crossing The Red Sea by Peter Skrzynecki
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Contrast; tone, audience target & medium
Assumptions:
- Future holds unknown; beyond control
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]To progress, the past must be “only a validation of existence” (Skrzynecki)

Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame – simple plots, exaggerated personalities & definite characters
Plot – Exuberant Toad wants to go on a journey. Mole Follows. Rat declines fearing unknown.

“I don’t care,” said Rat doggedly. “I’m not coming, and that’s flat.”

Assumption - Physical Journeys are exciting and new
Demonstrated: Symbolism: “Gypsy Caravan”

“Shining with newness, painted canary-yellow, picked out with green and red wheels”

Symbolises an exotic journey; unusual.
Demonstrated: Use of Rhythm: Toad’s quick dialogue

The open-road, the dusty highway, the heath, the common, the hedgerows, the rolling downs! Camps, villages, towns, cities!”

Obstacle: Rat’ Reluctance: Accustomed to what he knows, and safe.
Old River & hole & boat
Toad tries to overcome Rat’s stubbornness

“I’m going to make an animal of you, my boy!”

Irony

Toad trying to further Rat’s knowledge of the world through a Physical Journey.
Summed up – “I want to show you the world!”

Crossing the Red Sea by Peter Skrzynecki – set in post-war 1949.
Details migration of Europeans to Australia as a result of Government Plans, based on the first hand experience of the Poet.

Structure of the story, based on the title and the biblical story of the Israelites and Moses, in book of Exodus.

(Elaborate on comparisons between story and poem. Note: Ending of story is much like migrants end, as they don’t reach the promised land immediately after embarking on Physical Journey)

Structure of poem is definite, with numbers indicating sections where individual themes apply.

Section 1 – Theme of Exile

Obstacle = Past

Many slept on deck/ because of the day’s heat/ or to watch a sunset/ they would never see again

Marks the start of the journey, sunset symbolic of the past. Never physically see the European sunset again.

Memories strayed/- from behind sunken eyes

Poet’s elaboration – “When things become unpleasant, reliance on good memories becomes paramount.”

Human Endurance

Section 2 – Theme of Time

As we crossed a sea/ and looked at red banners/ that Time was hoisting/ in mock salute

Time – Personified, use of Proper Noun.

“Crossed a Sea”

Extension of physical placement – Movement in time
“Red banners” & “Mock Salute” signify movement
A Goodbye; sunset makes the banners red; Mother Nature’s goodbye
Note: Preference To Polish Colours

Section 3 – Resurrection

“I remember a field of red poppies, once behind the forest,/ when the full moon rose”

“Blood/ leaves similar dark stains/ when it runs for a long time/ on stones or rusted iron”

Example of Direct Speech: allows for more accessibility to the text’s emotions

“Red poppies” & “Blood” symbolising death.

(And the sea’s breath/ touched the eyes/ or another Lazarus/ who was saying a prayer/ in thanksgiving/ for miracles)

Biblical Reference; Lazarus parallel migrants. Chance at new life. Self – knowledge The migrants are thankful for a new life. Resurrection!

Section 4 + 5 – Future
“All night/ the kindness/ of the sea continued”

“Accepting outflung denunciations/ with a calmness”

Overcoming Obstacles, Extending themselves emotionally
Sea is comforting them.

Daybreak took away/ the magic of dreams/ fragments of apparitions/ that became/ more tangible that words

Self-knowledge
The future is bright

Indefinite Tone: Connotation:
A blood rimmed horizon/ beyond whose waters/ The Equator/ was still to be crossed

As the poet defines it “The longest part of the journey physically is ahead, yet the longest part of the struggles is also ahead”

THE UNKNOWN: Both Rat and the migrants are reluctant to venture into the unknown fearing uncertainty and ill fortune

(Conclusion)
Short = When people venture, they overcome obstacles, grow, endure, extend physically, intellectually & emotionally to find the end, although the impacts are what they seek for in journeys. Thankyou

Long = Underlying Assumptions allow for people to plan or realise what a physical journey’s impact will be. Trivial expectations are assumptions, such as Rat’s fear of the future, although the future is not in his hands. Also, voyages with extra meaning, hold assumptions that a physical journey has already finished. Physical Journeys are underway, await and have passed us, in which we have overcome obstacles, grown in knowledge, endured and extended physically, intellectually and emotionally, to the end where there is no end but where the impact of that journey lies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)