Sleep vs HSC (1 Viewer)

I am the Law

HSC
No, though in the argument of sleep it's pretty silly. Yes, you may be able to pull an all nighter now and again without adverse impact, have only a few hours sleep a night rarely but you when it becomes a non rare thing it will takes its toll, and often if you skim on sleep during the week, you tend to need to catch up that sleep debt on weekends. If you fall into sleep deprivation, you may not even realise the toll it takes on you easily. And if you're going to skimp on sleep at some point, don't do it half yearly/trials/HSC time, see so many people do it and it just hurts them because the a good night's rest would often help them cognitively more than a last minute cram. There's plenty of time to utilise in the year if you so choose to avoid skimping on sleep.

True. Chris is just bored lol, we all are in class. He doesn't sleep much though and gets 90+ in everything. We're just bored. Just don't take it so seriously, we are having a laugh lol.

Last edited:

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
you can easily manage all the things you want to do. like people say have everything in moderation and try to get at least 6-7 hours of sleep a night (more the night before an exam).
2 weeks to do an assignment is easy :) just smash through it one afternoon or on the weekend and don't leave it til the day before.

zb123

HSC
I guess another factor is whether you are able to sleep. For me, I had struggle sleeping till like 3am, because of stress or worrying about not getting sleep/ the usual insomnia cycle. However, fortunately, during the HSC exams I managed to get solid sleep. The odd night staying up till 2am before an assessment won't kill you, however, it is important to realise that it is unsustainable throughout the year. I stopped studying mostly at like 10:30pm at night; it gets useless eventually. It's better to relax in bed/ read a book and try not to think about the assessments. However, if you have not prepared well and have an assignment due in a few days, then by all means, sacrificing sleep might be the only option.

In terms of social life, I limited mine throughout the year. Looking back on it, I don't regret it, because I am enjoying life now, and will do so in uni. Balance is obviously needed, and there is no harm in going to a party, movie or gym or sport, because as I said, it's physically impossible to study ALL day. I used to watch quite alot of TV tbh - even during HSC exam time - from like 7:30-10:30 at times, but I would read my textbooks and essays in front of the TV haha.

But all in all, I agree with most of the past HSC students: Sleep/ a balanced life > studying 24/7/ stress

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess another factor is whether you are able to sleep. For me, I had struggle sleeping till like 3am, because of stress or worrying about not getting sleep/ the usual insomnia cycle. However, fortunately, during the HSC exams I managed to get solid sleep. The odd night staying up till 2am before an assessment won't kill you, however, it is important to realise that it is unsustainable throughout the year. I stopped studying mostly at like 10:30pm at night; it gets useless eventually. It's better to relax in bed/ read a book and try not to think about the assessments. However, if you have not prepared well and have an assignment due in a few days, then by all means, sacrificing sleep might be the only option.

In terms of social life, I limited mine throughout the year. Looking back on it, I don't regret it, because I am enjoying life now, and will do so in uni. Balance is obviously needed, and there is no harm in going to a party, movie or gym or sport, because as I said, it's physically impossible to study ALL day. I used to watch quite alot of TV tbh - even during HSC exam time - from like 7:30-10:30 at times, but I would read my textbooks and essays in front of the TV haha.

But all in all, I agree with most of the past HSC students: Sleep/ a balanced life > studying 24/7/ stress
+1.

Capt Rifle

HSC
True. Chris is just bored lol, we all are in class. He doesn't sleep much though and gets 90+ in everything. We're just bored. Just don't take it so seriously, we are having a laugh lol.
Definitely True. Lucky...

funstudy

HSC
A lack of sleep definitely is not good for you, but the temptation is there and most people do it despite the negative consequences. If at least for one year, choose sleep and good marks.

enoilgam

HSC
I know you guys are mostly mucking around with it - but many people neglect sleep and dont properly value it during the HSC.

Kingportable

HSC
If your smart and instinctive you should be able to find time for all three. Stuff like realising that some of the easier classes or modules decrease their daily share of 40 minutes a day to 20 minutes if you focus. Doing assessments in the first three days you get it will buy you a week or so of free time. Even things like crazy as notes and constant memorisation will save you hours of study in the upcoming days of a test. You can even split up modules with friends when it comes to home work and notes. Also you can make up micro get togethers coming over some one's house for an hour or so after school in time for dinner and school work or in the weekend. Although all this time saving tricks are very hard to pull off than their time saving counter parts.

Seriously specially for english! Between four or five friends you can come up with a year's worth of skeleton essays easily in a week or a weekend or even a day by spreading work out. Six people can answer the last three years of HSCs in two different ways in the time it takes to do one. Study smart and study hard people!

The real dilemma is factoring in part time work, competitive sport, other clubs, volunteering, cadets, Tafe, units past 10 or 12 some people are just really super human. In my opinion not caring about some things that don't affect your health is a good tool too.

Last edited:

Rawf

HSC
n yet u only managed to get into comm at unsw

rofl
Lol fatboi. I got an ATAR of 98.35, I didn't want to do anything else but commerce (I also got 5 bonus points, but I didn't need them --> 103.35).

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I know you guys are mostly mucking around with it - but many people neglect sleep and dont properly value it during the HSC.
True. Believe me, I want to sleep more but my excess travel time to school means I have to wake up at 5:30AM. I sleep at 12 - 1. That is why I don't get much sleep. I mean, I can't see myself sleeping at 9pm to get the recommended 8 or so hours of sleep.

Capt Rifle

HSC
True. Believe me, I want to sleep more but my excess travel time to school means I have to wake up at 5:30AM. I sleep at 12 - 1. That is why I don't get much sleep. I mean, I can't see myself sleeping at 9pm to get the recommended 8 or so hours of sleep.
and still you get 90+ in every exam... lol

nailafun

HSC
Thankyou so much guys, some really awesome tips here, I shall try my best :)

failwhale

HSC
for god's sake please at least get 6-8 hours sleep otherwise it'll become a bad habit and you're going to do poorly in exams/assignments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)