Smell? (1 Viewer)

kawaiinlove

HSC
I read somewhere that girls let off a particular smell that is supposed to attract guys. Do guys have a smell too? Out of interest, what exactly does it 'smell' like? Or is it just instinct? :confused:

efhat

HSC
everyone has their own "smell", you can't really describe it, but apparently its an instinct thing. You subconsciously choose your partners based on whether their scent is attractive to you, and they are apparently more compatible genetically and stuff.

M

Mon-chan

They say that the smells people are attracted to are ones that smell pretty opposite to themself :L

I guess that's based on how most things have a smell, but you only notice it if your nose isn't familiar with it in everyday life... (i guess how like people get sick of certain foods after some time/taste isn't as strong, etc.) so unless it's interesting/different/new you can't smell it ... like how people can't smell themselves, or have less of a sense of smell with smells that are somewhat similar to their own.

Like, some people say my smell is strong, other people can't smell anything... and I have this friend, who when I first met, I could literally smell her from 1m away so I'd always know when she'd walk by, but now she's my best friend, I barely notice it at all.

If someone walks past me tho, I usually get a whiff :S

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
yes, there is a sort of "boy smell". i can't describe it, but i know the smell because it's what boys' pillows smell like and what my pillow smells like if a boy sleeps in my bed.

but of course everyone also has their own scent. my mum smells like a mixture of laundry powder and fresh soil, my best friend smells pine and talcum powder, and my boyfriend smells like denim and book pages and pencil shavings.

quik.

HSC
The show, The Amazing Human Body or something along those lines, did the shirt test, where different ladies all took a whiff of shirts that had been worn by different guys. The ones they found most attractive (or least horrible, depends how you look at it I guess) were the guys who offered the greatest immune benefits relative to their own

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
<science>

It's called pheromones. Your body releases it constantly, and it has all sorts of interesting information, like sexual availability and the details of your immune system. Other people can detect these pheromones (usually subconciously), and we are usually sexually attracted to those of the opposite sex with immune systems completely different to our own (which would thus produce robust offspring). We can slightly detect these pheromones in a person's physical scent, which we find attractive (different immune systems) or repulsive (immune systems too similar).

</science>

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
The show, The Amazing Human Body or something along those lines, did the shirt test, where different ladies all took a whiff of shirts that had been worn by different guys. The ones they found most attractive (or least horrible, depends how you look at it I guess) were the guys who offered the greatest immune benefits relative to their own
And they were all repulsed by the shirt belonging to close male relatives (brothers, first cousins) due to low immune benefits too.

Pheromones aside, a guy's aftershave/idk whatever they use scent can be attractive too. :shy:

efhat

HSC
so then it's normal to think your family is smelly?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
everyone's got a certain smell, so with families u get used to it.

i wonder what hardcore indians think about their curry smell, they're probably like "oh i dont smell anything" [indian accent]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)