So hard to get information out of university, mayabe you guys can help? (1 Viewer)

hscisoveryay1

HSC
Sup guys,

So a little backstory, I failed all of my mid semesters and have gotten <50% for all essays (2 of them). I am doing a B Comm at USYD.

I was wondering, how is the final mark that I leave university with to show employers calculated? I know that I will have a transcript that has all my grades at the end, but, everyone always mentions their W.A.M etc.

I would assume first year is weighted less than second and third year or is it used at all in the calculation?

If someone could shed some light on this it would be fantastic. I have looked all over the USYD site as well as asking a tutor but both weren't helpful.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It depends on the faculty. I am not sure how the commerce department at USyd does it, although at other unis commerce is a flat WAM. I.e. 1st year courses are weighted the same as fourth year courses.

izzy88

HSC
Some faculties don't actually calculate your wam for you - or put it on your transcript. Eg. Arts faculty - wam does not appear at all on transcript. Of course if your employer asks for your wam, you calculate it yourself (everything is worth equal - no difference for first/second/third year subjects).

Law calculates your wam for purposes of getting honours etc, but I'm not sure whether it actually appears on your transcript. However lots of law firms ask for your wam when applying for jobs with them - in that case you just calculate it yourself and they will generally ask for copies of your academic transcript so they can check if they want.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Not surprised that the Arts faculty doesn't calculate your WAM for you whereas Law does.

As for the OP's question, I assume that all of your grades from three years of Commerce are recorded in your Academic Transcript. And this is what you highlight to your employers to show who's boss. Either way, they can calculate the 'overall' mark for you, or you can do it yourself...

Last edited:

engineering

HSC
N/A
WAMs dont appear on your transcript.

It will be a list of all the units attempted with the mark and grade.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
WAMs do not appear on the Business School transcripts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)