So I want to become a doctor... (1 Viewer)

Aseric

HSC
Ok, I am doing my HSC in 2008 so I'd be looking for entry in 2009

I want to go to UNSW but I have a few questions which I have struggled to find answers to:

1) What does the Medical Science degree allow you to do
2) If I did not get into MBBS would I be able to as a graduate or what?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
1+2/Whatever a basic science degree would let you.. grad positions are dependent on what skills you have and experience. Without further study or honours- lab assistants or technicians is the main type of work. Teaching too. Or another field where a BSc with a medical field would help.

yes but good work is hard to find atm... well thats the feeling i get from my friends.. but others would be able to offer more objective information

MCaristo

HSC
As Lotto said Aseric, it is only a maybe for tranferring from medical science to med. You would have to perform very well in a course that is full of people studying their guts out trying to get into med just like you. If you can get in via undergraduate methods, then definately do so!

Tim035

HSC
As someone in the Medical Science degree at UNSW right now what the above posters have said is true in all respects.
1- I think I've been told on about 5 different occasions that I will never earn good money as a scientist, will have to work horrendous hours and will be deprived of all social life (and they wonder why no one chooses science degrees?).

2- Due to this option to laterally transfer to medicine the degree is EXTREMELY competitive, I'm talking their are students yet to not get 100% in a test so far.

Whilst I love science (especially organic chemistry this semester!!!) I have been sadly enough permanetly turned off it due to the poor career prospectives presented to me.

lala2

Banned
HSC
That's what turned me off med science and just general science degrees in general--lack of job prospects.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
The influx of MBBS courses resulting in an influx in doctors will, within the near future, result in exactly the same thing.
Yo, it's cool to do med cause itZ hard 2 get intoz... the prestige of medicine is long gone.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
LottoX said:
We are in a Doctor shortage now; this coupled with an aging population will keep the demand for them high.
thank god for the colleges tho... going to mess all the extras up :)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Ok then, you keep telling yourself that.

Until when though? 2011? when you graduate? There's only X amount of doctors a hospital can accommodate. And with the influx of graduates, where's the money going to come from to pay them?

Within the near future, you doctors will be fighting one another for employment.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
*shrug*
i graduate in 2009..
2010 intern intake is so far so good.. so is 2011 and 2012.. as expected...

after that.. i dunno.. cos it shoots up to 2100 in 2013.. i reckon most will just do teaching/research or CMOs... but then mabeb the RACGP will jack up numbers since they are the only Govt obligated college

interesting point would be...how many will graduate.. since clinical schools are almost maxed out.. so wait and see.. we dun know at all yet

Season

HSC
Because of the hold the medical schools/government has been with the admissions there will always be a need for doctors and yes that demand will remain high. I read somewhere that 60% of Australian doctors aren't from Australia, they're immigrants who graduated overseas that Australia is literary begging for.

Where they say they are increasing CSP places, its only a very very VERY small about. I mean every medical school has like an extra 10 places. That's nothing when compared to the growing population of Australia.

Medicine is one of those fields where if you graduate, you are 400% guaranteed a job.

Earlier this year I did a CSIRO science research scheme thing and my supervisor said two things
a) if you're going to do science then at the very least you need a PhD, that said PhD doesn't guarantee anything, I met a few of them still working as lab technititions
b) there are lots of job, but little funding, and as they go hand in hand... yeah

Science is an iffy field, very little security, met quite a few people who actually went back to CIT to do an IT course so they could get a job. In fact its only like 15% of people who start in the field actually still stay in it.

Also I was recommended to just do a normal science degree, if you want to do the same courses as medical science, you can you can do the exact same subjects just witout the title, however this leaves you room to move just in case you want to explore another field of science.

Plus if you still want to do medicine they don't look specifically for a 'medical science' degree, a close friend has an interview at Sydney for medicine soon and she did general science degree (HD'd herself through it LOL) and another got accepted Queensland with a sports medicine degree. So yeah, leave your options open.

chinaski

HSC
N/A
Season said:
Where they say they are increasing CSP places, its only a very very VERY small about. I mean every medical school has like an extra 10 places. That's nothing when compared to the growing population of Australia.
Long time lurker here, momentarily de-lurking to express amazed incredulity at your post. Am heading off now to teach my medical students, who are crammed into a group which is essentially three times larger than it should be. They will all be mighty relieved to hear that the theats to their postgraduate training (due to overcrowding, lack of infrastructure and increasing med student numbers too fast) was all but a vicious rumour...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)