So my teacher told me to stop giving ATAR Estimates... (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"because I might upset people".

I give estimates at state average or P25 for baselines, or if they are really positive, P75 - but really, if you get less than the state average or even P25... the only person you're upsetting is yourself.

If you set yourself up for P75 and fail, you disappoint yourself.

It appears as if my 'service' is found as a hindrance. Or of course I could make it completely seekrit... yeah?

Well, there goes the bet we had going in Year 12 on who was gonna get the highest ATAR... anyone else had any problems with ATAR estimates at school?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I think everyone's afraid of finding out what they might get. Including me :D

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Maybe you should spend more time studying for your subjects, and less time frothing over ATAR percentiles.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Maybe you should spend more time studying for your subjects, and less time frothing over ATAR percentiles.
Yeah, but I'm very much on the palpable winnings kind of side. I want to see my competition, and therefore compare myself to my own cohort - instead of the state. Perhaps a fatal mistake, however I always aim for 100% nowadays, so the elusive 99.95 might be a reality...

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I didn't give estimates to anyone; kept it all in my head.

I did however tell people if they asked me and were adamant when doing so what approx. rank/mark they should be getting to get their aim. Which of course wasn't a lot of people anyway as i avoid most people who are "stupid" :)

Oh and i reassured people who were like, i'm not going to get 90+ or 80+ when i knew that they clearly would.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I only gave it to people who asked, perhaps someone squealed. Or maybe they over heard me about the bets...

Tofuu

HSC

I give estimates at state average or P25 for baselines, or if they are really positive, P75 - but really, if you get less than the state average or even P25... the only person you're upsetting is yourself.

It appears as if my 'service' is found as a hindrance. Or of course I could make it completely seekrit... yeah?

Well, there goes the bet we had going in Year 12 on who was gonna get the highest ATAR... anyone else had any problems with ATAR estimates at school?
not a problem, LOL

i don't see how your service is a hindrance, it might make some try harder

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Or maybe make them lax if their estimate is higher than what they need... <_<

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

i got 79 english adv, 92 4unit, 93 3unit, 88 physics and 85 chem - tell me my UAI/ATAR

yups

HSC

LOL . how do you estimate ATARs?

jassono

HSC
and why do you consider yourself to be in such a position of authority and superiority to do so...
Because he does 14 units of badass mofo and now knows everything. Including being able to generalise about the state and his school

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
LOL . how do you estimate ATARs?
You read through many threads + official documents, play with SAM/matrix/whatever and perhaps practise guessing on SAM/matrix/whatever. But if you're estimating for people based on school ranks/marks you need to know/be able to estimate the general performance of that school as well :)

victoria10

HSC
i think everyone needs to get over estimating what other people are gunna get and start thinking about studying and trying to work at their OWN PERSONAL BEST not what someone thinks they will get.

arjungamer123

HSC

My friends and I bet over sports and stuff. Betting over ATAR is just stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)