So u want to get 95+ and u do "easy" subjects (1 Viewer)

Eliza B

Hey everyone,
I'm a past HSC student from 2003, i'm at uni now doing design but to get there I needed a uni of 92+ and ended up getting 96.9.

I get really angry and shitted off when Maths/ Science teacher tell you that you can;t get over 90 unless you study Math 3u, Science, Physics, English exten. But u can, and they are wrong!!! They are horrible time consuming subject that u may only be doing because your parents want u to go study law. Nothing against people who want to study law, or any of these subjects though ;).

BUT for all those who do, art, dt, td, hospo, society and culture, general mathes etc. You can get over 90 if u follow some simple rules.

Rule
1) I would suggest dropping MATHS completely if you don;t enjoy it. it is extremely time consuming and hard to do well in unless you've worked hard for the last 6 years.

2) Try to come first in all your assessments and exams, if your not at the top then you won't achieve because it doesn't matter if you do fantastic in you hsc exam if you've gone crap in your assessments.

3) Always underestimate yourself, if your doing 'easy" subjects strive to do as well as poissible, I was told that there was no way i would get over 90 many a time, don't take crap just try to do your best!

4) Do not stress, stay calm and prepared. If u don't study all year for 5 hrs per night as the teachers say u should, in the 3-4 weeks holiday prior to hsc, spend a 5 hours each day studying and take heaps of breaks ;).

My definition of study is to re-write ALL your notes, into a summaried book (that still has lots of detail) if your prepared u won't be scared and freak out during the exams. Please follow the syllabus points, and print out all past papers, also do mind maps for extended responses.

5) While completing the exams structure your time, so that you have sufficent time to complete all questions to the best of your ability. DO NOT LEAVE EARLY!!!!!!!. Write until the last seconds (gah 3 hr exams). Put in infomation, even if your not sure whether it is relevant e.g. Ancient history essays, pad it out with interesting points as well as the right content that answers the question. The more information, the higher possibilty you'll get higher marks.

6) Make your hand writing ledgible, I lost so many marks in my trails cause the crap teachers claimed they couldn't read some words. Please make it easy for the markers, they want to give you marks

Sorry about the rant, i hope this helps some people :)
Good Luck

Cheers
Eliza B

mack

Banned
HSC
Anyone who says you cant do well without high scaling subjects should be hacked to death with a meatcleaver. Scaling only exists to ensure fairness. Anyone can negate supposed "poor scaling" with a stellar performance.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
well said, the reasons im doing chem, bio, phys and 2u maths is because they are pre-req's and i like them :p

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
... bottom line is do the subjects you enjoy and don't chose subjects for scaling.

also, remember you can get 100 with any combination of subjects :)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
No you can't. There are a couple of combinations which if you came first in the state for each subject, you still wouldn't get 100.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Skywalker said:
No you can't. There are a couple of combinations which if you came first in the state for each subject, you still wouldn't get 100.
do you mean those ones where noone got 100?

that doesn't mean it isn't possible to get 100 UAI in those, it was just that the candidature was too crap (to get 100)

mack

Banned
HSC
I remember a long time ago a discussion like this. The subs General maths, Standard English, IPT, Engineering studies, and SDD couldnt get you a 100 even if you topped the state in all. But that would have gotten you 99.95. There is no difference between them so who really cares?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
mack said:
I remember a long time ago a discussion like this. The subs General maths, Standard English, IPT, Engineering studies, and SDD couldnt get you a 100 even if you topped the state in all. But that would have gotten you 99.95. There is no difference between them so who really cares?
sorry, to be agumentative, but 100 raw mark = 100 scaled mark

^___ShabS___^

Eliza B said:
Hey everyone,

2) Try to come first in all your assessments and exams, if your not at the top then you won't achieve because it doesn't matter if you do fantastic in you hsc exam if you've gone crap in your assessments.
great !!!
im not in the top in most of my assessments ..and if it doesnt matter if i 'do fantastic in HSC' then ... hmmm
what should i do between now and hsc...
hmm.. party everyday! yay!!!

ive been nothing but LAZY this year!!!
and all i want NOW is to get to a UNI !!! any UNI !! i dont care what course i do for the 1st year .... i just wanna GET IN A UNI !!!
do u think i can ?????????? if i do good in the HSC ???????????????

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think if you top the state in 5 subjects you will get 100 .......

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
do you mean those ones where noone got 100?

that doesn't mean it isn't possible to get 100 UAI in those, it was just that the candidature was too crap (to get 100)
No, that's not what I meant.

If you did a combination like:
Standard English
Gen. maths
Senior science
Abo studies
IT
IPT (anything with a maximum scaled mark of < 48 per 1 unit)

you would not have gotten 100 even if you topped the state in every subject.

Last edited:

Giant Lobster

HSC
scaling is a factor that should be taken into account (second after interest, always) when choosing one's subjects

its politically correct for BOS to say that no subject is "capped" but in all practicality, the "easy" subjects are limited. Look statistically at say standard english. the highest mark ever was a 90.

But the debate isnt whether certain combos can/cant take u to 100, its 95+. So in this case, any combination will do nicely. Put your interests first if youre not aiming for 100 :p

mjgreen

i agree with skywalker. for evidence, look at aboriginal studies last year. no matter your mark, the scaled mark couldnt of been higher than 42/50. and in the past 3 years, the maximum uai every obtained by a student doing aboriginal studies was like 91. go to UAC.com. it will tell you more than you need.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
mjgreen said:
i agree with skywalker. for evidence, look at aboriginal studies last year. no matter your mark, the scaled mark couldnt of been higher than 42/50. and in the past 3 years, the maximum uai every obtained by a student doing aboriginal studies was like 91. go to UAC.com. it will tell you more than you need.
I have seen that document, however those maximums are only due the the condidature of the subject.

as for max scaled mark, it will be 100 if the raw mark is 100. again it is due to candidature that the max scaled marks for those subjects arent 100. topping the state doesn't equal 100 raw mark, escpecially with those subjects with only 1 person.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
it is true about teachers promoting high scaling subjects. quotes from my chemistry teacher "you need science you know, you need it to get a high uai, even if you dont like it"

HSC
Skywalker said:
No, that's not what I meant.

If you did a combination like:
Standard English
Gen. maths
Senior science
Abo studies
IT
IPT (anything with a maximum scaled mark of < 48 per 1 unit)

you would not have gotten 100 even if you topped the state in every subject.
well i'm screwed...but let's say you have 12units or so. if ipt doesn't count towards your 10 units and the rest of your subjects are english advanced, maths 2u advanced, chemistry (which i suck atm but getting better for next yr's hsc), legal studies (doing very well in it) and sor II in which you did brilliant, over 90 and everything (if it does happen) then will the uai still be pretty good to achieve anything above 97?

Cab31

HSC
NB: The information contained in this post is very misleading - see reply below. (Admin)

one thing that the schools dont tell you is that there is a book that has existed for a really long time which details exactly how much your raw mark moves up and down depending on what band you fall into and in which subject. for example (these are NOT correct - i will try to access the book today and write the real ones in) if you do general maths and you get a band six and your mark comes to 46 out of 50, it gets scaled to 42 out of 50. (note: its proably more than that)
HOWEVER, what you need to remember is that you may do 2 unit maths and get 34 out of 50 and that only moves to like 35 out of 50 so you are WAY better off doing general even if its scaled down. i swear this book exists and that its written by the guy who is in charge of ALL the scaling EVERYyear.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
could you plz give the title of book and author? george someone is in charge of scaling ( cooney, clooney - well he is the head of the commision of scaling or whatever)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)