so who is doing crime fiction? anyone? somone? god help us! (1 Viewer)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
is anyone else finding crime fiction to be a TAD boring so far? or is it just me and my lack of finding wooden desks and cigars exciting, not to mention the sexism and such.... all good things to talk about in an essay i spose.

can anyone recommend some Crime Fiction books that you have read and enjoyed reading and writing about? our teachers expects us to read one a week, which im struggling to do cause i lose interest after four pages...

though i must say, i love actual extension classes...we sit around after school drinking coffee and eating loads of chocolate, chatting about english and not doing what we are meant to be doing!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Are you doing the real inspector hound? I actually liked that text. But we're doing the big sleep at the moment and its sooooooooo boring

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
totally irrelevant.. but

Originally posted by snakeoils
though i must say, i love actual extension classes...we sit around after school drinking coffee and eating loads of chocolate, chatting about english and not doing what we are meant to be doing!
I wish we did that. All last year we sat around thinking "is the teacher going to turn up and if she is, will she have work for us and know what's going on?" and placed bets on how long our class would go for/when she'd say "oh, okay, it's too hot to work, here take these sheets and do this at home girls."

Disclaimer - yes, I realise this is totally unrelated to "crime fiction"

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think all ext English classes are like that. We sit around and eat and chat too. Our teacher is just a big kid so its kinda hard to stay on track and not start talking about something else.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
haha funnily enough, i didnt mind the big sleep too much... have to do an assessment on it, due week 2 next term - a storyboard about film techniques, and an essay on the contribution two CF writers made to the genre...

and nah, i havent read the real inspector hound yet... im sure we will though. right now im reading 'snow falling on cedars' and 'the skull beneath the skin'....

im hoping that maybe scooby doo counts as crime fiction...i like scooby :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah I think sccoby doo would
*thinks of using it herself*
if your doing skull beneath the skin, snow falling on cedars and the big sleep than you won't be doing the real inspector hound cos you only need three texts. Its a shame cos thats a really good play.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
maybe i could just read it as an additional... or something along those lines! i gotta say, i would much rather be doing postmodernism or retreat from the global... but i got outnumbered 3-1 (we only have four people in our class)...
oh well, dems da breaks... im sure my love for the genre will have increased by the end of this year (aint nowhere to go but up up up :S) hopefully.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hmmmm yeah I didn't want to do crime fiction either but it seemed better than the others. I contemplated teaching it to myself but scrapped that idea cos I realised you'd still have to do in-school assessments on the other stuff

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR11
Its a shame cos thats a really good play.
I reckon! the real inspector hound ruled!!!!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I really have no idea how I'll do (marks-wise). I thought I blitzed my yearlys last year but only got an average mark (it wasn't bad, but wasn't brilliant either) but I went pretty good in the assessments. I always seem to have trouble gauging how I am going.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah, i kicked some ass last year in the assessments, and lost only one mark all year... got to the exams and got 65%...
so im being cautious this year and doing plenty of exam prep and stuff... im aiming high for my UAI (and that rhymes)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah I say Im gunna do lots f prep...........but what am I doing right now????? Valuable time I am wasting. Meh, I do intend to do better than I did in Prelim though (and by that I mean getting off my arse and doing something for a change)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
As an old codger from the class of 02 I found Ext 1 Eng and Crime Fiction really great.

I did Big Sleep, Hound & SFOC and they were all good, especially Hound.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
everyone keeps saying how good Hound is... damn our teacher for choosing Skull Beneath The Skin, which i find exceptionally tedious. But i really shouldnt be on this forum right now... i got a few hours til my plane leaves and i havent started packing yet :cool:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I'm curious...I heard they'd replaced Snow with another book, and I rejoiced because it was the least crime-fiction-relevant book in the whole thing. What is the replacement book?

btw, I loved crime fiction. But I must admit, I didn't really love it until we did our big group presentation. You guys are all hating it because you aren't letting yourselves study it enough. The whole point of extension classes is that you're there because what you're studying interests you and prompts you to do your own individual research, which in turn makes you more interested, etc.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
well, Extension DID interest me last year... Catch 22, Heart of Darkness, Utopia... all interesting and individual-research-inducing books... im just struggling to find motivation in a genre that i have never had any interest in, let alone enough interest to maintain dedication to for a whole year... im trying, i really am! :)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Darn. That book really doesn't belong in the crime fiction unit. Maybe the changes are for 2004.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah prob cos they're getting rid of King Lear for Advanced. I haven't read much yet but Snow has something to do with a court case doesn't it (welll as far as I can tell) isn't that crime?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)