so who is doing crime fiction? anyone? somone? god help us! (1 Viewer)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah i got to quite like good ole PD towards the end of our in depth study of SBTS... some very clever stuff in there. we spent today's lessons doing trial exams... they were all kinda interesting.

sdpy

Thanks for all your opinions on GP! I'm interested (1 more) that you liked the film so much but yeah, i guess I tend to agree w/ lady penelope, that the ads for the movie looked really good. And I think I was expecting more of a straightforward murder mystery... And more of a worthwhile plotline! I guess if you just want to appreciate the scenery and lovely characterisations then it's your movie. But I found it so tedious watching the bumbling inspector, and the pointless expository scenes that you saw coming a mile off!! The actual murder seems a "background nuisance" - that's right!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
did anyone get the chance to see the '8 femmes'? it was kinda a crime fiction musical...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by miguel_fugdey
'bout sfoc, sure, it was a crap movie, but the scenery WAS nice. i LIKED the scenery...any advice for interesting non-prescribed texts? i've only found one thing that i liked, which was the alexander cross books...the ones that were made into movies with morgan freeman
Well my advice is to get some from diffenent eras/styles.

For 19thC:
-Poe: Murder at the Rue Morgue
-Doyle: ALL

For Golden Age:
-Christie: ANY, read more than 1, at least 3.
-L. Sayers

For modern there is too many to list here ...

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah modern era ones were kind of my saviours... i really didnt like the genre until i read some Patricia Cornwell, Minette Walters, Marelle Day etc... made it easier to get through the crime fictions i found less interesting.

malayz_angel

I actually quite like Agatha Christie-- that's not to say that she doesn't have her flaws-- I get annoyed by all the French phrases she pops in her novels. I learnt French for one year and the only thing I remember is how to order ice cream-- so yeah. I like modern writers too though.. Ruth Rendell, Marele Day and Minette Walters are great. I really like Ruth Rendells' 'A Sight For Sore Eyes' and for ppl who prefer shorter stories.. 'A Fallen Curtain' is pretty good.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i find Peter Corris a really enjoyable read too... sure, he may not have the greatest literary merits, but at least its not an overwritten brainstrain... and his characters have pretty strong voices too.

Neon-Frog

The Bosch series by Michael Connelly is really good. I just finished 'Trunk Music', and im going to borrow another of my teacher.

Another different one which is good for use in altering styles within the genre is Steven Saylors book with Gordianus The Finder. Its set in Ancient Rome, and its pretty interesting to read, I havent finished yet so ill let you know how it is.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
long time, no post...

how was everyones half yearly? what additional texts did people choose? what were your questions? etc etc

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by snakeoils
long time, no post...

how was everyones half yearly? what additional texts did people choose? what were your questions? etc etc
half yearlies? it wasn't too bad.
i used "the mousetrap", by agatha christie.

questions?

one about genre and the conventions
it went something like:
'good composers are not restricted by the conventions or ...'
evaluate your texts in light of this statement?

the second section was on composing,
we had to compose a substantial text, based on the conventions of the genre.

i think that was it?
it was a few days ago, so i've completely forgotten.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
well i did my exam today...

it was basically a question about how effective composers adapt the conventions of the genre to reflect the cultural and social values of their society...

i found it pretty interesting, and my favourite exam question so far.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
well i did my exam today...

it was basically a question about how effective composers adapt the conventions of the genre to reflect the cultural and social values of their society...

i found it pretty interesting, and my favourite exam question so far.
Yeah, that sounds quite interesting. I'm guessing that was an essay Q. Was there a creative writting component?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
no, our teacher decided not to give us a creative writing part because the assessment was only worth 5%...

but we did a practice creative writing one in class:
"Write a letter to your publisher pitching your new new crime fiction detective".

I wrote about a blonde bimbo from Nimbin who left the police force because it was full of chauvinists - i made the whole thing kinda ironic by pitching how she defied all stereotypes, but in reality the character was actually just a stereotypical anti-stereoptype :p

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I wrote about a blonde bimbo from Nimbin who left the police force because it was full of chauvinists - i made the whole thing kinda ironic by pitching how she defied all stereotypes, but in reality the character was actually just a stereotypical anti-stereoptype :p
Ooh, that sounds good, I hope you got good marks ...

1 more

fructis
HSC

I wrote about a blonde bimbo from Nimbin...

Hahaha thats funny.
You're from Byron, so there would inevitably be perceptions and generalisations about people from around your area.
However it seems in Sydney, Nimbin generates a somewhat different stereotype. :p

On another note, your story sounded like a great idea.

malayz_angel

[I i made the whole thing kinda ironic by pitching how she defied all stereotypes, but in reality the character was actually just a stereotypical anti-stereoptype :p [/B]
Lol..sounds a lot like the characters I picked for my 4 u major work..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)