So whos doing law? (1 Viewer)

Aaron1911

But practicing lawyers don't get all that much money. The average salaries for laywers are

Private: $77,272
Government: $74,360
Coporate: $127,227

You also have to keep in mind that coporate lawyers make up ~15% of all lawyers.

Source: http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/articles/BB/0C01AEBB.asp?Type=55&Category=848

And David...seriously what is your problem with law? Every single post i've seen you make you talk down the law course and its students. You're probably just trying to get less people to apply to it so YOU have a better chance enrolling yourself!

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Aaron1911
And David...seriously what is your problem with law? Every single post i've seen you make you talk down the law course and its students. You're probably just trying to get less people to apply to it so YOU have a better chance enrolling yourself!
That's my theory exactly! And I'm quite sure of it too...

Accept your law offers everyone!!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC

Aaron1911

Originally posted by spin spin sugar
sounds like alright money to me! :eek:
Well on it's own it looks like a decent amount...but nothing to really write home about. After also considering the people who did the courses were the cream of the crop its pretty ...bad.

addz

HSC
combined law at unsw..

its this or a coop scholarship..
and i'm leaning towards the law basically because i do enjoy the subject (legal studies) and its interesting...i'm pretty sure there are alot of high paying jobs out there and sure it is a high uai course but that just meant a high target if you really really want to do.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
sounds like alright money to me! :eek:
spin spin, those figures are gross figures, before 48.5% of it is taken out for tax, leaving you with roughly half.

David27

Ah, I'm just foolin' with ya heads. Honestly, I couldn't think of anything more boring than studying law. That's just me.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by David27
They're doing law cause they've been brought up on a host of dopey, unrealistic American tele programs that paint it as a sexy and glamourous profession.
NO! I hear you say. What? You've gone down to the local courts to see them in action. Doubt it.
You've looked up what they actually study? Doubt it.
Be honest, kind ladies and gentlemen.
Im not going to bother with you, you are obviously just trying to get a rise out of us. Get a life, stop trying to play down others excitement about their achievements, and most of all stop generalising.

kewpid

HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
spin spin, those figures are gross figures, before 48.5% of it is taken out for tax, leaving you with roughly half.
Not Quite.... only the portion over $62,500 is taxed at 48.5%

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
The starting salary law is on average $34 000. Like all areas, you have to work your way up. Im not doing it for the money, nor the prestige. Im doing it cos its what I want to do. End of discussion.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
My reasons for doing law:
1. Best support degree for commerce
2. Challenging
3. Earning capacity
4. Wide range of employment oppotunites
5. Very mild interest (edited just for newbie ;))

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i've known you for 6 years and we both know that number 5 is a lie

David27

I'm doin' law cause I reckon Judge Judy will retire in 5 years time and there gonna need a replacement.
I will need a 'Burt" to grovel at my feet, though. Perhaps a communications graduate can do it when all those journo jobs are magically non-existent.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kewpid
Not Quite.... only the portion over $62,500 is taxed at 48.5%
you're right, sorry I musn't have been thinking. Although the tax scales do still apply to all the money under the $62,500 (bar the first $6,000 or whatever it is), making it still pretty severe compared to the gross figure :(

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by David27
I'm doin' law cause I reckon Judge Judy will retire in 5 years time and there gonna need a replacement.
I will need a 'Burt" to grovel at my feet, though. Perhaps a communications graduate can do it when all those journo jobs are magically non-existent.
wow davo, i've read some of your other posts as well
you must be the king cynic around here

damnit i thought i was the king cynic :(

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Wow! So that makes me, suz, santaslayer, swangal & Classic doing law @ UOW....who else is joining us for law?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)