So, who's doing some good old GERMAN ? (1 Viewer)

bugs

lol yea, my friend's in group 2.

I joined the German Kultur Klub as well - what did you think of the member cards? i'm going to colour mine in, to make it look pretty :eek:

veridis

droog
HSC
haha i know its pretty pov
then again at least it had a card unlike the football society.

bugs

LOL
It's barely a card , but nontheless i still love it - I've coloured it in :) w/a German flag in the background.

Anyone going to that raffle thing at Una's??

bugs

Seryn said:
Probably. But when is it again?
5pm on Thursday, it's this Austrian restaurant in Broadway . :D I think all the prizes are German Beer eh? cos it said you have to 18 years :) And the names sound like some beers i've heard of.

Last edited by a moderator:

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
Can people in Group 1 and 2 please post their tute times? I'm in Group 3 but I have to change it...

musikgeist

HSC
German at USYD is good. I did beginners last year. Most of the tutors are actual germans on exchange for postgrad stuff, so they have lots of funny german stories and cool german accents.

If I could offer any advice, I would point out they move through the chapters at a pretty snappy pace, and so if you miss a few tutes in a row and think you'll catch up, you can find that the class is a chapter ahead of you of theres a quiz on Thursday.

Also, for the oral presentation (2nd semester) most people who wrote out of a dictionary and attempted huge complicated sentences crashed and burned, the best marks I saw went to people with simple sentences from stuff we learnt in class (and cool powerpoint presentations)

If I could offer any other advice, it would be buy my textbooks :D Why queue up for hours at the co-op to feel ripped off by paying $100 for 2 small books?
2nd hand is the way to go.

bugs

I already bought mine :eek:
I've got Heinrike Hissbach for my tutorials. - She's pretty nice and she has the accent!
What's this oral presentation thing? do we have to stand up in front of the tute? and powerpoint presentation ?? :S :S

bugs

Did anyone go to the Stammtisch thing at Una's ? i did :eek: It was pretty cool, i met some fellow first years :) - however, they're doing a higher level of German :eek: - i liked the leidenhosen :eek: !!!

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
I was there, though i left early. There were also 4 others from my tute though so i already knew some people:), plus i met several others in their 2nd and 3rd year and even people who dont even study German:rolleyes:

chepas

HSC
musikgeist said:
Why queue up for hours at the co-op to feel ripped off by paying $100 for 2 small books?
2nd hand is the way to go.
www.amazon.de - cheaper alternative. My books that will have cost $110 from Co-Op cost just $45 from there. Shipping sorta makes it a bit more expensive, which makes this barely worth while (works out still to be cheaper with shipping etc, $A83), BUT if you can get a little collective order amongst other people doing your course, it soon comes down once you divide costs. Either that or you can go crazy and order German CDs, books, DVDs... Also the listed catalogue price will come down a Euro or two, once the final price without the Mehrwertsteuer is listed. (I think the MWST's about 11% so far)

So, with getting a bit of stuff in an Amazon order, it could be worth while...

Actually, how is the Kultur Club? And Una's? Want to know actually hehe...

Last edited:

bugs

Re: Stammtisch

It was realy good, we got free pretzels! - they were really big lol.
Discounted german Beer.
And the whole, upstairs to ourselves.
lol and the barman was dressed in lederhosen!! :D
there was a raffle too - :) - which i think wil be held monlthy from now on.

nickyringland

HSC
Hi guys!

Just thought you might like to know about the German Kultur Klub's website and forum:
www.geocities.com/germankulturklub
http://germankulturklu.7.forumer.com/index.php

Feel free to post feedback there as well! It'ss always appreciated - even if it's just that you liked the pretzels! (which is good to hear!) :)

ps - you can get the cards laminated at Manning or other locations around campus for free!

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Bah I do German. Hate Katrin. She's a total cow. Hence why we argue in class. I think she had some impression that I was going to be a fantastical suck up student considering I seemed to be the only one answering questions in the first few classes, and now doesn't know what to do with me as I don't seem to be so sweet as I first appeared. But she sucks. Her and Ken suck. As if just skip a chapter in the textbook. I'm tired of them flipping from one chapter to the next and back. The reason it's in a certain order is because it's the order we need to learn in. I'm dropping out of the arts side of my degree purely based on how far behind I've become in German and how much I've started to hate it.

I miss first semester. Henrike was awesome.

And Una's is great. Go the Schnitzel's bigger than my head and the fantastic Honey Schnapps.

Yeila

HSC
I have Katrin also. It seems that if you have the correct answers she loves you, but if you stumble or struggle she looks at you like you resemble some turd :/

Heinrike was great!!! she understood that we do not know every damn German word in the textbook!she was so kind haha

It is true, they shouldn't pay such little attention to each chapter. It is going at such a quick pace. *sigh* I don't know if it's the same for all beginner languages subjects.

hm but maybe it's just that German Grammar is evil:)
It is a shame you hate German, my friend also grew to hate it and dropped it
Yulia are you in junior German 2 as well?

Last edited:

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Odd, i've heard many people say how they like Heinriche over Katrin but my friend and I both prefer Katrin. She just seems to involve the whole class a bit more and uses more interactive activities than Heinriche did. I must admit though that I am a bit disgruntled that she only notified us of tommorows oral presentation last thursday and expects us to have memorised the whole thing :(
I'm assuming by junoir German 2, you mean the first year course Yeila? If so which group are you in? Perhaps Katrin is nicer to one than the other haha

Last edited:

Yeila

HSC
haha yeh I'm in the junior unit :D , group 2. She does seem alright most times I suppose haha, it's just that she seems a little scary ? haha, in comparison to Henrike.. - But we also did group activities with Henrike :p and we had the Pranktikantinnen
Yeh, it would have been nice if we had known earlier :( . Do we have to present it in the lecture? I hope not, how intimidating :/

Last edited:

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
I must have returned a blank expression at least half the time Katrin's asked me something in class and the look she's given back has never been THAT bad.:rolleyes: In fact, even being one to rather neglect my homework/studying, im actually feeling more confident in German overall than I did with Heinriche as tutor.
As for presentation I think i heard her say something about how the room group 1 was in had a projector to use for Powerpoint, which implies that it ISN'T in the lecture *phew* Still, i don't see how she expects us to memorise most of it. At least i have the comfort of doubling up with a friend. Prepare to be dazzled with info on the Hamburg metal scene.:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)