• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Ronaldinho deserved the fifa award for his pure ability. From a heavily biased standpoint i say Shevchenko should have won, but i have little interest in an "award" that is mostly based upon reputation (note that Zidane came 5th this year). In terms of form/consistency Shevchenko+Henry were at the very top, but in regards to entertaining and technically phenomenal calcio, Ronaldinho was unmatched. Awards haven't had much influence as CL and Euro were won by outsiders, i.e. Porto and Greece respectively, who neither boast players who were in the favouritism for either the Ballon d'Or or fifa awards (apart from Deco, to an extent). As for individual players influence on the team, Sheva'+Henry+'Dinho have probably made equal contributions to their sides, Sheva in the goal scoring department and Henry/Dinho in assists (and goals also). I will stop typing now because i find this award to be rather redundant from a neutral point of view as Ballon d'Or is universally viewed as the more authentic item of recognition in European football. In receiving this "prize", i offer my condolences to Ronaldinho.

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
man ability or no ability...ronnie hasnt won anything for barca yet...sheva and henry have...this counts for more..or should count for more...than ability and repetoire of tricks and flicks

and the way i see it deco should have been on the shortlist too for his performances for portugal (at euros), porto (in the CL) and now barca....i think he's overrated but he did deserve to be on that list...not the winner but at least on it

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
dude where does the player of the year award entail that he MUST have won a league or a cup. it's an award for the player not the quality of the team he's in.

dougthelegend

HSC
The Arse are up 1-0 after 18 minutes against Fulham.

Henry scored a relatively easy goal in the 12th minute. Fulham rang in the changes, making four changes, amongst them, Malbranque only starting on the bench, which in my opinion is a stupid move, considering his attacking qualities.

Arsenal should easily win this one now, probably 3-0 or 3-1.

A2RAYA

HSC
Hotdog said:
dude where does the player of the year award entail that he MUST have won a league or a cup. it's an award for the player not the quality of the team he's in.
well then how do u judge who should win world player of the year if it isn't juded by the contribution a player's made for his team and country? players like ronaldinho are judged, in case u didnt know, on what they contribute to the team for that year....what has ronnie done beside set up goals for barca players and done a few fancy tricks in the precess? it isn;t a must...but when ur comparing ronnie and sheva then u have to take into account what their club and possibly country have done that year and how they've contributed to it

example: sheva:
won serie A with milan AND finished top scorer for the season...conclusion: he contributed to their title win

ronnie:
has scored a few goals for barca, yet hasn't contributed to their winning of a title yet...yes he helped em to second spot last season but can that really beat what sheva did for milan? conclusion: has potential, will win world player of the year again, but should not have won this year

A2RAYA

HSC
another match another 3 points for united...watch out chelsea we're coming....LOL at west brom...man they're hopeless

btw who was rudely disrupted by a freak thunderstorm during the liverpool west brom game this morning...fuck that was crazy

^___^
HSC
these awards i find are total bullshit

can anyone tell me when was the last time a defender was recognised for his contribution to the team??

yea, i think Maldini was the only one, but thats cos he was playing consistenly so well for Milan for 15(or 13 yrs) yrs...

A2RAYA

HSC
they are bullshit...they're nothing more than popularity contests nowadays...zidane played shit last season yet he still won it
maldini's deserved it without a doubt...if a defender's ever won it i'm glad its him....i think roberto carlos has won european player of the year before but he doesn't really count as a defender does he?...he's always 60 yards away from where he's supposed to be

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
A2RAYA:

Contributing doesn't mean always winning,
but using ur example i think just based on last season sheva shiuld have being a distance third behind henry and ronnie.
would milan have won the league without sheva? probably
would arsenal have won the league without henry? no way , and barca wouldnt have fimished in the top three without ronnie either.
realisticlly speaking, i think sheva was in it cos of his high standerd for a number of year rather than his perfomance last year along.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The only defender thatz been FIFA World Player of the Year iz Lothar Matthaeus.
Oh well football theze dayz are mo about attack rather than defence, Brazil iz probably the best example.

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
A2RAYA said:
well then how do u judge who should win world player of the year if it isn't juded by the contribution a player's made for his team and country? players like ronaldinho are judged, in case u didnt know, on what they contribute to the team for that year....what has ronnie done beside set up goals for barca players and done a few fancy tricks in the precess? it isn;t a must...but when ur comparing ronnie and sheva then u have to take into account what their club and possibly country have done that year and how they've contributed to it

example: sheva:
won serie A with milan AND finished top scorer for the season...conclusion: he contributed to their title win

ronnie:
has scored a few goals for barca, yet hasn't contributed to their winning of a title yet...yes he helped em to second spot last season but can that really beat what sheva did for milan? conclusion: has potential, will win world player of the year again, but should not have won this year
soccer is a team game, you can't base a player's quality on whether his team has won anything. Arsenal has been in the top 2 if not the top team in england for several years now, while barca has been struggling in the past few seasons until last year. you cant compare what the have won because arsenal isnt JUST henry and Barca isnt JUST ronaldinho. Not to mention that the league that they are in are different, and since they didnt meet in europe, you just cant compare the 2 players and the teams as you have done.

and yes ronaldinho's role is supposed to be socoring few goals, set up several more and do a few tricks to inspire the team and the fans.

A2RAYA

HSC
dirty dave said:
A2RAYA:

Contributing doesn't mean always winning,
would milan have won the league without sheva? probably
would arsenal have won the league without henry? no way , and barca wouldnt have fimished in the top three without ronnie either.
ok number one: how can u say milan would probably win the league without sheva and yet arsenal wouldn't without henry...they're the same style of player mate....they both score more goals then anyone else on the team by far and if they're not getting service from midfield they come back and get the ball themselves and provide someone else with an opportunity to score

and number two:barca finished in the top TWO and it wasn't just because of ronnie....u don't think it's because rikaard came in and sorted out their defence too? he brought in van bronkhorst and belleti, moved puyol to centre back and brought in marquez and eleguer to partner him...ronnie wasnt the reason they stopped conceding a shit load of goals was it? no....hence ronnie isn't the only reason...he's been playing pretty dodgy these last 2-3 weeks because of injury and yet barca's still scoring goals and not conceding many..conclusion: take out ronnie and barca's still almost unbeatable...take out henry and sheva and they're respective teams will suffer

^___^
HSC
i will say Milan can win the league with Sheva where as Arsenal can't do it without Henry

reason: Milan's defence is solid, Arsenal's defence is really shaky even if Campbell in it

A2RAYA

HSC
... said:
i will say Milan can win the league with Sheva where as Arsenal can't do it without Henry

reason: Milan's defence is solid, Arsenal's defence is really shaky even if Campbell in it
but who is going to score their goals????
in soccer he who scores more goals in a game wins the game...no matter how many are conceded..thats the sad fact....real madrid are a classic example....well they used to be anyway

^___^
HSC
A2RAYA said:
but who is going to score their goals????
in soccer he who scores more goals in a game wins the game...no matter how many are conceded..thats the sad fact....real madrid are a classic example....well they used to be anyway
Milan have Kaka, Pirlo, Seedof, Cafu, Thommason, Inzaghi(ok, maybe not him, but if he hits form, u can't deny him), thats frigtening enough
Arsenal only have Reyes, Pires and Ljungberg

A2RAYA

HSC
but umm Kaka, Pirlo, Seedof, Cafu, Thommason and Inzaghi are not goal scorers....they might score half the number that sheva does and thats it

A2RAYA

HSC
Numero Uno said:
Kaka is a goalscorer and supplies nearly all of Shevchenko's ammunition
ur right about the rest though
Inzaghi is a shit kunt
yeah but take sheva out and they're not going to get half the goals they got with him...that's what i'm saying...thus his impact and/or contribution is greater than ronaldinho's

as for inzaghi he is a very shit cunt :D

and good god i hate ur sig :vcross:

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
... said:
Milan have Kaka, Pirlo, Seedof, Cafu, Thommason, Inzaghi(ok, maybe not him, but if he hits form, u can't deny him), thats frigtening enough
Arsenal only have Reyes, Pires and Ljungberg
And Ashley Cole, and Dennis Bergkamp...

And in 3 yrs time, Pablo Aimar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)