Social experiences in uni (1 Viewer)

throwawaybby

HSC
is everyone 'supposed' to form social groups that hang out regularly during uni? the social experience for me personally has been such a different environment compared to highschool. i feel like i don't have any people to really hang around with regularly and talk to even though i do know a reasonable amount of people, and now i end up with heaps of acquaintances instead of friends no matter how much time i try to invest into developing proper friendships.

is the uni social experience supposed to be just all acquaintances instead of groups or am i doing something wrong? all my friend's groups seemed to have been formed in bsoc camp in UNSW

anyone else care to share their experience on coping with this kind of stuff?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
is everyone 'supposed' to form social groups that hang out regularly during uni? the social experience for me personally has been such a different environment compared to highschool. i feel like i don't have any people to really hang around with regularly and talk to even though i do know a reasonable amount of people, and now i end up with heaps of acquaintances instead of friends no matter how much time i try to invest into developing proper friendships.

is the uni social experience supposed to be just all acquaintances instead of groups or am i doing something wrong? all my friend's groups seemed to have been formed in bsoc camp in UNSW

anyone else care to share their experience on coping with this kind of stuff?
Yeah sorta.

Like I have a friend group that's pretty much the Commerce/Adv Maths people who started in 2011, and even though some of us have transferred/graduated, we still meet up every so often

I have a friend, I met her in my Microeconomics 1 class - in first year - and now we meet up every month or so

In terms of groups, I had a friend group of maths boys (which was the name of the group) that helped me through second and third year maths, although that kinda died when everyone started graduating or going on exchange or picked different majors - although we see each other sometimes at uni randomly and it's all good

That's not even starting to talk about groups from society camps and stuff.

Uni is varied, you just meet with people. The focus is more on individual-to-individual connections, I've found. Yes, there are groups - but because of timetable variability and all that, you end up making close connections with a few people, rather than a group that you always hang out with like at school, in general and on average.

throwawaybby

HSC
Yeah sorta.

Like I have a friend group that's pretty much the Commerce/Adv Maths people who started in 2011, and even though some of us have transferred/graduated, we still meet up every so often

I have a friend, I met her in my Microeconomics 1 class - in first year - and now we meet up every month or so

In terms of groups, I had a friend group of maths boys (which was the name of the group) that helped me through second and third year maths, although that kinda died when everyone started graduating or going on exchange or picked different majors - although we see each other sometimes at uni randomly and it's all good

That's not even starting to talk about groups from society camps and stuff.

Uni is varied, you just meet with people. The focus is more on individual-to-individual connections, I've found. Yes, there are groups - but because of timetable variability and all that, you end up making close connections with a few people, rather than a group that you always hang out with like at school, in general and on average.
how did these groups form though? ive a few personal connections with people but it just doesnt have the same feel to it compared to high school since you know everyone is close to everyone so you're not really their close friend and all the personal connections just end up feeling like acquaintanceships

also, are camps worth going? from what ive heard of camps like bsoc camp theyre just places for sleazy guys/gals to get mad drunk and hook up with randoms

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
how did these groups form though? ive a few personal connections with people but it just doesnt have the same feel to it compared to high school since you know everyone is close to everyone so you're not really their close friend and all the personal connections just end up feeling like acquaintanceships
Same class. We sat with each other in lecture, or had a study group going, etc. And then next semester, we saw each other again - rinse, repeat. By the time we had to split up because of different major choices, we were quite close and it helped that mutual friends and stuff worked in our favour.

It just happens. But that lecture buddy you have now, or the tute buddy - yeah sure at the end of the semester, nothing's probably going to happen. But if you see each other the next semester and you recognise each other? Then that's the start of a friendship.

also, are camps worth going? from what ive heard of camps like bsoc camp theyre just places for sleazy guys/gals to get mad drunk and hook up with randoms
Yes, so much. And as a career camp leader at UNSW, let me tell you there are glorious, glorious stories about hooking up and other camp shenanigans. They're memories to treasure.

For instance, my favourite BSoc Camp story involves the Saturday night party, an Indian guy, two Asian girls, and only one line of dialogue: "I'M GETTING LAID TONIGHT!"

keepLooking

HSC
For instance, my favourite BSoc Camp story involves the Saturday night party, an Indian guy, two Asian girls, and only one line of dialogue: "I'M GETTING LAID TONIGHT!"
Great story. Who said that line though?

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Same class. We sat with each other in lecture, or had a study group going, etc. And then next semester, we saw each other again - rinse, repeat. By the time we had to split up because of different major choices, we were quite close and it helped that mutual friends and stuff worked in our favour.

It just happens. But that lecture buddy you have now, or the tute buddy - yeah sure at the end of the semester, nothing's probably going to happen. But if you see each other the next semester and you recognise each other? Then that's the start of a friendship.

Yes, so much. And as a career camp leader at UNSW, let me tell you there are glorious, glorious stories about hooking up and other camp shenanigans. They're memories to treasure.

Any stories worthy of the L&R forum from SciSoc camp SD? ;)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
whitehouse dates xoxo
i remember i took out my former number one secret crush to the whitehouse

That was... interesting.

Any stories worthy of the L&R forum from SciSoc camp SD? ;)
Not really...

There were two cute camp leaders I wanted in on - but I found out one had a boyfriend when I saw her texting "I love you <3 <3 <3 GIT GIT GIT INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN <3" (artistic licence taken there), and the other name-dropped him in conversation. :(

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
Making friends at uni requires more effort than places like school. You have to be more assertive about it and ask someone in your class if they wanna grab some food after, whereas in school you just gradually form friendships by constant close association.

My best luck has been on field trips or society meetups, where there is actually time to hang out and get to know people outside of sitting next to them in class. With that said, I'm still struggling though because people seem to have so many accquaintances already. Lectures and tutes are difficult because even if you manage to chat for a minute with someone, one of you has another class or something afterwards.

Now that I'm in second year, I've recognised people from first year classes. I already notice the later units feel smaller and more tight-knit, and that most people are now doing the same major in those units. So I'm hoping that will help with making friends within units.

throwawaybby

HSC
Making friends at uni requires more effort than places like school. You have to be more assertive about it and ask someone in your class if they wanna grab some food after, whereas in school you just gradually form friendships by constant close association.

My best luck has been on field trips or society meetups, where there is actually time to hang out and get to know people outside of sitting next to them in class. With that said, I'm still struggling though because people seem to have so many accquaintances already. Lectures and tutes are difficult because even if you manage to chat for a minute with someone, one of you has another class or something afterwards.

Now that I'm in second year, I've recognised people from first year classes. I already notice the later units feel smaller and more tight-knit, and that most people are now doing the same major in those units. So I'm hoping that will help with making friends within units.
I think you misunderstood what I meant haha. When I meant social groups I actually meant like full on "besties/proper group that hangs out every other day" friends instead of the "i say hi when i see you and we'll hang out once a week/few weeks" kind of acquaintanceship.

But yeah, being a shy person that i am, its hard to expand your social circle without looking desparate and completely obnoxious, since you need to be the one that takes the initiative, and its such a massive change from highschool :(

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you misunderstood what I meant haha. When I meant social groups I actually meant like full on "besties/proper group that hangs out every other day" friends instead of the "i say hi when i see you and we'll hang out once a week/few weeks" kind of acquaintanceship.

But yeah, being a shy person that i am, its hard to expand your social circle without looking desparate and completely obnoxious, since you need to be the one that takes the initiative, and its such a massive change from highschool :(
Maybe try going to Ubar parties ?

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, but you need to start somewhere. Your best friends were your acquaintances once. When you have casual friends from your classes who you occasionally hang out with, the next semester when you're choosing your timetable you can organise with those friends to register for at least one other class together or similar times so you're at uni on the same days. Eventually you'll become closer to people, but it does take longer than in school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)