Social Justice Warriors (SJW's) are waging a cultural war (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...d/news-story/bb45a7ce75f727bdde0a77ea113ff0fa

Social Justice Warriors (SJWs), groups of mostly young, mostly university students, are waging a bitter war with the cultural establishment of the nation and it’s turning increasingly nasty.

Those who proudly adopt the title express a mix of sensitivity to social issues coupled with an aggressive and almost militant outrage at any perceived injustice. But their incendiary tactics have sparked a huge backlash from professors, journalists and commentators around the country as a culture war that has been bubbling under the surface for some time is on the verge of exploding

Those on the other side accuse SJWs of using fear mongering and bullying to police language, enforce censorship and unfairly discredit those who deviate from their position.

“If there is any silver lining in this dark cloud, it’s that the social-justice faith is so grim, so angry, and so arrogant that it can prosper only through intimidation and coercion,” conservative columnist David French wrote in the National Review this week.

‘IT IS NOT ABOUT CREATING AN INTELLECTUAL SPACE’

The latest headline-grabbing incident that’s been played out in this war is the cancellation of free yoga classes at Ottawa University because of concerns of cultural appropriation.

The weekly class had been running since 2008 and was enjoyed by both disabled and able-bodied students. The backlash to the decision was biting with an online torrent of criticism levelled at the student union’s victory.

Even though it took place in Canada, it’s just one of many bitter disputes dividing university campuses across North America.
This month, protests erupted on the campus of Yale University after the school’s Intercultural Affairs Committee sent an email to the student body asking them to avoid wearing “culturally unaware and insensitive” Halloween costumes that could offend minority students.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
"Those who proudly adopt the title express a mix of sensitivity to social issues coupled with an aggressive and almost militant outrage at any perceived injustice. But their incendiary tactics have sparked a huge backlash from professors, journalists and commentators around the country as a culture war that has been bubbling under the surface for some time is on the verge of exploding"
Good on them for the backlash, it is about time that some people spoke out about the inconsistencies of the "social-justice warrior" movement.
Hyper-political correctness, "hyper-equality" and "tolerance"/accomdation (which they really mean is agree with me or else); is painstaking a problem and threat to the freedom of this society of Australia.

And lets not even mention the topic of "micro-aggressions".

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Good on them for the backlash, it is about time that some people spoke out about the inconsistencies of the "social-justice warrior" movement.
Hyper-political correctness, "hyper-equality" and "tolerance"/accomdation (which they really mean is agree with me or else); is painstaking a problem and threat to the freedom of this society of Australia.

And lets not even mention the topic of "micro-aggressions".
Says the (probably white) male. You scared of people fighting for equality now?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
You envious of my white skin? Most of your posts are cringeworthy, keep watching hentai brah
lol stalking someone's post history cause someone licked you in an internet argument. u mad

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
You scared of people fighting for equality now?
Hardly. My issue is not social-justice/equality; even though I would question their use of the word "equality" sometimes.

I am more concerned about the means that is used to get there
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/incendiary

Says the (probably white) male.
That kind of comment is irrelevant. To assume because I from a certain ethinicity/skin-colour or gender, that my opinion or whatever is invalid; is inconsistent for some-one who I presume would argue strongly for "equality" in a particular (but different) area.

Last edited:

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
"Everybody was finally equal. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General."

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
They are waging a "cultural war" but they are too gutless to out Islam as a religious movement that directly contradicts their so called manifesto???

Do these people even listen to themselves speak... :lol:

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
They are waging a "cultural war" but they are too gutless to out Islam as a religious movement that directly contradicts their so called manifesto???

Do these people even listen to themselves speak... :lol:
muslims are (almost exclusively) brown which means they can do no wrong

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Well no shit listening to the extremists and radicals about any belief and of course you're only going to see a "war" on everything. Enjoying yoga and Japanese tea is not the same as culturally appropriating sacred holy events for your personal amusement.

If you accept that ISIS is not a good representation of Islam, the Crusaders are not the good representation of Christianity, the Myanmar Buddhist monks are not a good representation of Buddhism, then why do the radicals of SJWs and Feminists get to portray a good representation of any movement to do with equalising inequalities?

Better yet why do we get to pick and choose which radicals of SJWs we'll listen to? Martin Luther King Jr, Nelson Mandela and Emmeline Pankhurst are now champions of movements we apparently recognise and agree with yet they both promoted radical action and violence to get their messages across.

That being said the extreme SJWs of cultural appropriation today are admittedly worlds away from the above named because most are the weird heavy stupol types...

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Well no shit listening to the extremists and radicals about any belief and of course you're only going to see a "war" on everything. Enjoying yoga and Japanese tea is not the same as culturally appropriating sacred holy events for your personal amusement.

If you accept that ISIS is not a good representation of Islam, the Crusaders are not the good representation of Christianity, the Myanmar Buddhist monks are not a good representation of Buddhism, then why do the radicals of SJWs and Feminists get to portray a good representation of any movement to do with equalising inequalities?

Better yet why do we get to pick and choose which radicals of SJWs we'll listen to? Martin Luther King Jr, Nelson Mandela and Emmeline Pankhurst are now champions of movements we apparently recognise and agree with yet they both promoted radical action and violence to get their messages across.

That being said the extreme SJWs of cultural appropriation today are admittedly worlds away from the above named because most are the weird heavy stupol types...
+i4028043

#Crobat4POTUS

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.
And it is used here; but the question we have to ask is what is the definition/criteria for one to be considered to properly adhering to the faith/ideology.

People are known by what they do; and a religious/idealogy is known by that. The question we got to ask is what does the ideology. While we cannot appeal to specific cases, like Myanmer Buddhist monks or the Crusades or even the KKK which tend to be isolated forms of a more literalistic, extremist reading/interpretation of their religion
(not so sure about ISIS, depends but that can be left for the ISIS thread); if there is more general tendency within a religious belief (I'll leave others to discuss that) then there can be an issue. I tend to think that most such groups would meet to criteria to be deemed Buddhist or Christian; even though they may be motivated by such.

It comes down to a definition: reasonable.

The problem is not with that they hold to the ideology, or even what the ideology is supposed to be. The problem is what the adherants do. And there are two main cases I can think of where there seems to be an issue, where an ideology is used nowadays; one is "equality/social justice" causes and the other is Islam.

====

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)