social life at macquaire uni (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
was just wondering what the social life is like around here? is it a happening kind of place? are there lots of clubs and societies and sporting teams you can join? are there places to hang out in and out of the uni?
i haven't considered coming here until recently because i've been wanting to go to a uni in the city (easier to access) but the UAI for my course seems much more attainable here :p

HSC
N/A
lol.

is it a happening kind of place? Yes, but perhaps not as overtly as some of the city uni's. We still have great things though, like film screenings ($5 membership for free weekly movies!), beer trivia, bar parties.

are there lots of clubs and societies and sporting teams you can join? Yup!

are there places to hang out in and out of the uni? Yup. Plus macquarie centre (with a number of lovely union discounts) is right across the road.

Kegs

HSC
Yeah, e6a is the place to be. I have heard some whacky shit goes down there, with people chucked by security after midnight. Crazy...

As for the original post, it is a pretty good place to study. There is a good balance of things to do. Like most things, you get out what you put in (I sound like my mum). If you are willing to be involved then there is heaps for you to do.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Yeah, the only thing is the convenience of the Mq timetable though.

If you're anything like me, you'll schedule your timetable so you have to be on-campus as little as possible. So you turn up for classes and leave straight afterwards.

But apart from that, people at Mq are pretty nice, it's easy enough to make friends if you want.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why would you want to do psych anywhere BUT mq, we trump USYD's psych course anyday :p

Depends on what you want, you can spend as little time on campus as you want, or spend as much time in between the bar, mq centre, and the ranch as humanly possible.

Kegs

HSC
Luke! said:
Yeah, the only thing is the convenience of the Mq timetable though.

If you're anything like me, you'll schedule your timetable so you have to be on-campus as little as possible. So you turn up for classes and leave straight afterwards.

But apart from that, people at Mq are pretty nice, it's easy enough to make friends if you want.
People like you make me sad.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Its feel pretty laid back to me... little interesting stuff goes on, except for the Veema Fiasco, and even that is met with general apathy.

Parties at SAMbar (or U@MQbar, LOL) every thurs night, but i've only ever been there once. You might enjoy it.

Other than that, yeah, pretty laid back.

-P_D

dracover

HSC
theres plenty of stuff to do though i think the clubs in the city unis are more active though i fink our general student activities are betta. all in all theres plenty of stuff to do regardless wat uni u go to. moreso inportantly is if u got time

X

xeuyrawp

Luke! said:
Haha, why?
Because you're not living to the full! You're not interacting with the fascinating, articulate Asian students! You're not spending much time in our massive, well-stocked bar! You're not going to the wide variety of un-cliquey and fun social events! You're not participating in our competitive and representative political scene!

*ducks*:D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:
well-stocked bar!
so it wasn't a one off when i went there and they didn't have what i wanted to drink?

Monstar

HSC
Dude too be honest, its kinda boring man. I haven't really made any new friends as i just chill with good old high school mates. The people in my course are normally fobby exchange students who dont really talk unless they need something explained. Its got to a point where its so boring i cbf anymore and just go home. Im guessing its the same at all uni campuses. A positive upside, if you're 17 and you wanna go to them thursday night parties just go up there 1hr early and you dont get your id checked.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I didn't start making friends till I started getting involved in things - the Transition program (mentors), filmsoc, that sort of thing. A social life doesn't get handed to you on a silver platter, you know :p

* that being said, I HAVE made some extremely good friends with people in my mus205 class :D

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Because you're not living to the full! You're not interacting with the fascinating, articulate Asian students! You're not spending much time in our massive, well-stocked bar! You're not going to the wide variety of un-cliquey and fun social events! You're not participating in our competitive and representative political scene!
Haha, "articulate asian students". There's a much bigger world outside the uni. I could do all that stuff, but it's too much effort... it's only for organised people like you.

glitterfairy said:
If that's you in your avatar, I totally saw you (or someone that looks like you) around SAM this evening.
Hehe... must've been my evil twin... I wasn't at uni today. I have a mohawk now anyway, so I look slightly different. If you see them again, tell them I want my identity back.

You might've seen me and a mate kickboxing on the grass between the library and X5B... or maybe people have seen me walking around wearing a fedora. That's the only time I'm very noticeable... otherwise I just blend into the crowd stealth-ninja style.

Monstar said:
Dude too be honest, its kinda boring man. I haven't really made any new friends as i just chill with good old high school mates.
Yeah, that's like me, I'm still mates with all my highschool friends. Outside of uni I rarely hang out with people from uni— all the job vacancies in my friends-department are filled already. I suppose I should be more social with uni people, but you all live so far away! Haha. I'm like the only person from the Shire that goes to Macquarie.

T

trolloutaface

The people here are really nice. You won't have any trouble making friends!
Like if you simply ask for directions (like I did today :eek:), you'll have 5 people trying to help you. Easiest way to strike up a convo is by asking their names and what degree they're doing and how they're finding it so far. That always works.

um, if you really want to..you can join groups and stuff (like others have mentioned). I didn't join any because I thought that It'd be better if I didn't spend too much time on campus. But yeah, I change my mind. Probably join a few next year :p

AsyLum said:
Why would you want to do psych anywhere BUT mq, we trump USYD's psych course anyday :p
agreed :santa:

Last edited by a moderator:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Better still, go do electives from politics to japanese to philosophy to ancient history

Way to make new friends!

(or just get drunk regularly, theres a nice batch of people going to the MQ bar and the ranch)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)