social life at maq? (2 Viewers)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
What's the social life like at MAQ??

Heaps of people tell me that going to university is really shit in terms of meeting new people and that high school really is the best years of our life??

Someone told me that at Sydney Uni they actually have exclusive clubs depending on what u drive, clothes u wear etc (OMG can i jus say thats just really sad and i hope i'm just bein gullible and that it really isn't true!) i hope MAQ isn't like that is it??! the whole class division thing..... dey might outkast me coz i'm a westie hahahaha

ND

HSC
I've actually heard the opposite; that the best part of uni is meeting new people.

Originally posted by clairegirl
Someone told me that at Sydney Uni they actually have exclusive clubs depending on what u drive,
Hey Isaac, do they have any Silvia clubs? If not, let's make our own. :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Who are these "somebodies"? I think, if anything, you'll be meeting more and more people, moreso than you would have in a limited, closed environment such as school.

In terms of meeting new people, I don't think it's really shit, but it's what you make of your time at MQ, that matters. You can find new friends in a day, just as you would, had you been at school. School is one thing, university is another. As far as the best days of your life is concerned, for some, it may be school - for others, the best days of their lives lie in university life itself (meeting new people).

The University of Sydney are renowned for being 'snobby' (but don't take my word for it). Exclusive clubs? I don't think they exist, but if you want in, you're welcome to try. I don't think it's true, at all -- universities shouldn't be about divisions, but unification (for want of a better word).

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Huy! i don't want to be in deze so called clubs.... i actually don't think they're for real anyway ... i just wanna know what maq social life is like :D i'm gunna make the best ov it! but hopefully i'll manage my time more wisely than i did in Highschool...... couldn't really get that balance thing right.. hence da not getting the UAI i needed for my first preference! :chainsaw:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Not everybody gets into their first preference, as determined by their UAI and course cut-off. If you're not interested in the clubs, then the clubs themselves are better off without you.

I don't think university life will differ, going from university to university. The atmosphere may be different, but essentially, it is all the same - glorified school; with a larger selection of students (male and female), and an even bigger array of subjects to choose from. You would have learnt many lessons, since finishing the HSC, and in hindsight, you would have done things differently - now that you've finished school itself. You know where you've gone wrong, and you've got university and the years to come -- to change and correct past 'mistakes' (or bad habits).

Make the best of everything, because you only live once, and if you're going to do something -- give it your all (I myself am not the type to settle for less). :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Meeting new people is great fun. Especially if you have the time... *Sighs*

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
flyin are u a chick or a guy

i always had this vision of u as a guy for some reason.... but sometimes i think u might be a girl

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
flyin' is a boy. :)
flyin' likes to speak in 3rd person too

anyway, i have heard 1st year can be hard because you have lots of people in your lessons so you don't really make friends. i hope this is wrong!

Huy

HSC
N/A
You can always make friends, but you might not see these friends very often with a busy schedule and the fact that you might be meeting so many others, first year.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
flyin' likes to speak in 3rd person too
Yes, flyin' does seem to like speaking in the third-person.
Originally posted by iambored
anyway, i have heard 1st year can be hard because you have lots of people in your lessons so you don't really make friends. i hope this is wrong!
Friends are usually those doing the same (course and) subjects. Everyone (well, most) make friends, sooner or later. :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
friends u make are those who are friends of friends, or ppl in ur tutorial classes

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
You make aload of friends at the start of uni. Then every1 get snobbish. But then you slowly know more and more people. And eventually you know like 2/3 of the lecture hall (deres not many ppl doing actuarial compared to other courses), and then it becomes a problem sayn Hi to every1 u walk past. You start developing this signal by like scanning the row with ur head and nodding ur head everywhere.

I don't think there's a silvia club. Anyone can start up a club. At mq, these are mainly nationality clubs, faculty clubs, sports clubs and then a few misc like anime, lan games etc

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lol sounds like da first time i went to my school (everyone came from different schools) everyone would just say hello to everyone on da first day and den dat died down and den pple started settling down into der groups blah blah lol

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Don't worry, it'll work out... Just remember that everyone, or many, are in the same position.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ahh not year 7 all over again. i like the whole being friendly with everyone, but i hate the fact then they get snobby. ahh well, i am lucky, i know someone doing my course (if i choose to do it) and i have friends going to mac so o-week will be ok. i just hope meeting new people is ok as well.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The main difference is unlike year seven, people are slightly more mature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)