social life at unsw (1 Viewer)

stormstormstorm

HSC
what sort of extra curricula stuff goes on at unsw ... oh and is there a pub on campus - or at least within 5/10 min walk -

oh ... and pool tables, how much for a game

cheers

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
5-10min walk would be right. The pub is in the Roundhouse which is in the north west corner of the campus, near Anzac Parade.
Pool is $2 a game.
And there are heaps of clubs and societies to join.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
There's over 100 different societies on campus you can join for your extracurricular stuff.

Visit this website www.oweek.unsw.edu.au and it should give you a rundown

elfm

HSC
generally, nothing much happens at uni :p people go to uni, do work, go home... well atleast that's what probably 90% of the students there do. the others well, they probably bum around at the roundhouse or collenade

HSC
is it likely if you rock up at uni first day anyone talks too you? or most people keep to themsleves

gman03

HSC
Casmira said:
is it likely if you rock up at uni first day anyone talks too you? or most people keep to themsleves
varies depending on a few factors, including but not limited to:
* Are you hot?
* Are you rich? and the most important of all
* Are you stupid?

On a serious note, it highly depends who YOU are. I.e. if you likes to talk, some one WILL (eventually) talks to you. If you don't want to talk, NO ONE will talk to you. (and I learn it the hard way :()

If you want to talk, there is always CBS for u.

HSC
gman03 said:
varies depending on a few factors, including but not limited to:
* Are you hot?
* Are you rich? and the most important of all
* Are you stupid?

On a serious note, it highly depends who YOU are. I.e. if you likes to talk, some one WILL (eventually) talks to you. If you don't want to talk, NO ONE will talk to you. (and I learn it the hard way :()

If you want to talk, there is always CBS for u.
*Are you hot?
no :D
*Are you rich?
sort of but I dont go flashing it
*are you stupid?
relatively :D

I will talk too people if they talk too me but thats it, unlikely ill approach anyone

elfm

HSC
it's just like high school. you generally wont be talked to unless you make the first move. however, after a little while certain things such as group work, tutorial classes and peer support helps finding new friends :)

edit: hmm i just remembered it was quite easy to make friends at high school. so i'll retract that comment. it's hard to make friends in lectures because you can't talk in them, and everybody's usually spaced far apart from each other. so your best chance to make friends are the above, and if you're lucky enough to sit next to a talkative person in lectures.

Last edited:

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
I think it ain't that hard actually to start a convo in lectures while waiting for everyone to quite down. Find a person sitting alone, sit next to them and ask "is this seat taken?", after that introduce yourself, hopefully they will do the same back. Then after the lecture maybe ask them for coffee or game of pool, or if they are busy just get their contact details.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
MAICHI said:
I think it ain't that hard actually to start a convo in lectures while waiting for everyone to quite down. Find a person sitting alone, sit next to them and ask "is this seat taken?", after that introduce yourself, hopefully they will do the same back. Then after the lecture maybe ask them for coffee or game of pool, or if they are busy just get their contact details.
sounds like a pick up :p

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Eagles said:
sounds like a pick up :p
LoL I should try that one next time
The only person I met in a lect waz a dude I waz next to in a packed QMA lecture.

RooRaa

HSC
N/A
Sometimes the first day can be a bit daunting. Some people dont seem to want to interact. If you come across people who brush you off.. dont stress as there will be friendly people its just a matter of finding them. Some classes are great while other classes are less social. Tutorials in week 2 are a good chance to get to know people better. Just give it time :)

as far as extracurricular ... there is a huge choice of clubs and sports as other people have mentioned. There is also usually a band/person singing on wednesdays on the library lawn (its great if you can bum around on the lawn but very annoying if you are trying to study near the windows in the library). There are cake stalls, revues and movie nights and lots of different things going on. You can be as involved as as uninvolved as you wish.

If you enjoy acting/dancing/singing or doing stuff behind the scenes the revues are a good way to meet lots of people. Personally im too lazy to do it but alot of people who do get involved say its alot of fun.

Yeh there is a pub on campus as well as pubs withing walking distance. Pool tables and booze are easily accessable.

Last edited:

elfm

HSC
RooRaa said:
Sometimes the first day can be a bit daunting. Some people dont seem to want to interact. If you come across people who brush you off.. dont stress as there will be friendly people its just a matter of finding them. Some classes are great while other classes are less social. Tutorials in week 2 are a good chance to get to know people better. Just give it time :)

as far as extracurricular ... there is a huge choice of clubs and sports as other people have mentioned. There is also usually a band/person singing on wednesdays on the library lawn (its great if you can bum around on the lawn but very annoying if you are trying to study near the windows in the library). There are cake stalls, revues and movie nights and lots of different things going on. You can be as involved as as uninvolved as you wish.

If you enjoy acting/dancing/singing or doing stuff behind the scenes the revues are a good way to meet lots of people. Personally im too lazy to do it but alot of people who do get involved say its alot of fun.

Yeh there is a pub on campus as well as pubs withing walking distance. Pool tables and booze are easily accessable.
who could be bothered doing all that after a 9-5 day heheh

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Fuck I know. After 5+ hours of classes the only thing I want to do is head home and sleep.

RooRaa

HSC
N/A
heh yeh. I am pulling my hair out to cope with essays and exams while they go off to practice dance routines. I dont know how they do it!

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
RooRaa said:
heh yeh. I am pulling my hair out to cope with essays and exams while they go off to practice dance routines. I dont know how they do it!
what degree do you do roorah?

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Yeah like I'm ever bothered to stay at uni fo the social life.

Oh and most Asianz are snobby. They tend to stay within their own lil group.

lauren_d

HSC
what about for those of us who wont be 18?! is the roundhouse strict with id?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)