Social Work at UNCLE (1 Viewer)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Hey Newcastle people.
Just been looking at the online handbooks- the degree I want to do (Arts/Social Work double) is ' available to continuing students only from 2010'?

I live in New Lambton and so staying in Newcastle for uni is my easiest option... but I want to do the double degree. Either that or a Social Science/Social Work double which says the same thing.

Why has the uni decided to get rid of its double degree programs for social work? Anyone know?

Izz

LauraHLH

HSC
Both the B Speech Path/B Arts and the B Speech Path/B Social Work have been cancelled for new students too, which is a real shame. I don't understand why they'd can the double degrees, it seems a bit silly to me.

~untitled~

HSC
Both the B Speech Path/B Arts and the B Speech Path/B Social Work have been cancelled for new students too, which is a real shame. I don't understand why they'd can the double degrees, it seems a bit silly to me.
Im going into 3rd year speech next year and canning those 2 degrees doesent surprise me. I dont believe that anyone does them, I considered combined with arts but the spth course is enough work, I could never take on anymore. Spth is a pretty close group too, and i know of noone who actually does a double degree, theres a preference towardsr joining the honours stream rather than doing a double degree. The only arts type thing people like to do is sign language AUSLAN and theres a chance to do that through directed LING elective in the 3rd year.

Last edited:

LauraHLH

HSC
Im going into 3rd year speech next year and canning those 2 degrees doesent surprise me. I dont believe that anyone does them, I considered combined with arts but the spth course is enough work, I could never take on anymore. Spth is a pretty close group too, and i know of noone who actually does a double degree, theres a preference towardsr joining the honours stream rather than doing a double degree. The only arts type thing people like to do is sign language AUSLAN and theres a chance to do that through directed LING elective in the 3rd year.
Thanks for this :) I know of one person who's going into their third year this year who's doing the B Speech/B Arts, and according to the handbook they've kept that double degree and just canned the B Speech/B Social Work. And I was interested in learning do that without having to do a double degree :)

katie2261

HSC
I have just finished my 1st year of Social Work, and while I didn't look into it as I am not interested, as far as I know you can still transfer into the double degree program.

You have to complete your 1st year of a normal Social Work degree with a Credit average to be eligible to transfer into a combined degree (either SW/Arts or SW/Social Science). I have a friend a year higher who is now doing that combined degree.

I don't think it is an overly popular program, so they may have cancelled it, but as far as I know it is still offered, just not to new students - you need to prove you can handle the workload first. Either way, if you are in Social Work I would ask your 1st year lecturers about it. They will be able to tell you more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)