society and culture students (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, this is my first post on BOS. Greetings!:) I was wondering if any of you have/had an assignment that was a Research Report. You have to use a content analysis to compare the way tv portrays adolescence and adolescent experiences in Australia and one other country. So I need to choose two teen shows, one Australian and another foreign. Any ideas? Thanks!!

alby

cool duckie
HSC
easiest thing would be something like home & away or neighbours or maybe one of the shows on abc...compare it with an american/pommy show, the oc comes to mind here. try not to pick the easiest/most common shows, most of your classmates will probably choose them too and i think your teacher would like to see something out of the ordinary

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i know they're a bit more juvenile, but there's always things like blue water high, out there, worst witch (pommy) and a couple of others on abc. if you've never watched these sorts of shows, i suggest you to a bit of channel surfing (even better if you've got pay tv)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
so your looking for shows relating to adolescent behaviour ?

well I have many .. joan of arcadia, everwood (way to hard to get your hands on though - but my fave ! XD ), girls in love ?

the shows that alby mentioned are really good examples which you could use too. I'd recommend them.

Welcome to bos ! =]

loveCLARA

HSC
Im doing the exact same thing atm . Well my teacher let us viewed a documentary on how teenagers are growing up in 5 different countries . It's called "Coming of Age" something like that . And for my Australian show i chose Home and away . Yes it's pretty typical but i don't have the time to watch abcs show after school . Besides , atm H&A has more teenager dramas compared to Neighbours which are now more based on the adults .

Hahas i did my content analysis already and now i have NO CLUE on how to write the essay.. i am so dead. lols and i can't find my question sheet . Damn , i am so screwed . :L . garrx , i hope someone on msn from my sac class can scan and send it over . Btws , welcome to BOS . Im pretty new to this site too .

HSC
loveCLARA said:
Im doing the exact same thing atm . Well my teacher let us viewed a documentary on how teenagers are growing up in 5 different countries . It's called "Coming of Age" something like that . And for my Australian show i chose Home and away . Yes it's pretty typical but i don't have the time to watch abcs show after school . Besides , atm H&A has more teenager dramas compared to Neighbours which are now more based on the adults .

Hahas i did my content analysis already and now i have NO CLUE on how to write the essay.. i am so dead. lols and i can't find my question sheet . Damn , i am so screwed . :L . garrx , i hope someone on msn from my sac class can scan and send it over . Btws , welcome to BOS . Im pretty new to this site too .
thanks for the welcome. For this task did you also have to do a statistical analysis? I have no idea how to do it for this task! :( Any help would be appreciated!

N

noir.

loveCLARA said:

Ah, yes I too watched the same video

As for content anaylsis - you have to make stats based on what you've viewed. and it has to be specific.

for e.g. you're investigating the portrayal of Australian female adolescents [on TV] at an all-girl school and how many times they inquire over the opposite sex.

you see that within a half hour period, girls will bring up the topic of boys 6 times. from this, you have to make an analysis of what YOU think this is communicating [and yeh it is sort of a generalisation but you've got stats to back it up]

@i-love-maynard

Statistical Analysis is diff. to content analysis, because with stat. analysis you are analysing statistics that have already been established.
you do this for content analysis as well, but YOU do the work where you view/read/look through magazines and take a tally of how many times something occurs, for example. from there you then analysis the content.

loveCLARA

HSC
noir. said:
Ah, yes I too watched the same video

As for content anaylsis - you have to make stats based on what you've viewed. and it has to be specific.

for e.g. you're investigating the portrayal of Australian female adolescents [on TV] at an all-girl school and how many times they inquire over the opposite sex.

you see that within a half hour period, girls will bring up the topic of boys 6 times. from this, you have to make an analysis of what YOU think this is communicating [and yeh it is sort of a generalisation but you've got stats to back it up]

@i-love-maynard

Statistical Analysis is diff. to content analysis, because with stat. analysis you are analysing statistics that have already been established.
you do this for content analysis as well, but YOU do the work where you view/read/look through magazines and take a tally of how many times something occurs, for example. from there you then analysis the content.

ahh i see.. but i dont understand when you said that i have to THINK WHAT IS COMMUNICATING . For e.g. just say i had decided to do relationship between parents - discussion between teenager issues with parents . and i wrote something along the lines of " Therefore this depicts that the adolescent classifies the adult/parent more than just a guardian but a friend " (giving backup) ... Is this correct ? lols

oh and at i-love-maynard
no , im doing CONTENT ANALYSIS . Like what Noir said , i have to tally how many specific adolescent related items . For eg. How often they used slang in the film . So if you did content anaylsis .. yeah tallying should be the easiest way to dectect how adolescents is portrayed on tv .

loveCLARA

HSC
I've given in my COMPLETED ESSAY and now awaits for the results . haha , hope i did well ><' .

i-love-maynard , how's the essay coming along?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)