• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Software Design & Development Major Project, directed at new Yr 12's (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
If you want we could get a little started tonight

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
haha sounds like some1z bored after their hsc has completed :p

hmmm ill pm u :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
A little note, don't plagarise projects.

If you are able to program things yourself it will make the logic of learning to write algorithms 10 times easier.

I couldn't do that :(

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
hmm so when are we actually gonna be told about our Major assignment?

or do we just have to automatically start it whenever?

cause my teacher has told me NOTHING about it yet

oh well only one way to find out

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Seraph
hmm so when are we actually gonna be told about our Major assignment?

or do we just have to automatically start it whenever?

cause my teacher has told me NOTHING about it yet

oh well only one way to find out
Well just ask your teacher about it, but i got mine around this time last year.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
hmm anyone got good ideas for a major project
My suggestion:
Do a REALLY!! simple program which allows good documentation to be made from it.
Do something relevant to the syllabus.

So you should have in it some sorting, some reading/writing files, you should use both random and sequential files.
This way, when you have to write an algorithm for any of these in an exam, it will all be sweet.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb
My suggestion:
Do a REALLY!! simple program which allows good documentation to be made from it.
Do something relevant to the syllabus.

So you should have in it some sorting, some reading/writing files, you should use both random and sequential files.
This way, when you have to write an algorithm for any of these in an exam, it will all be sweet.
I agree, i think the syllabus requires some inclusion of using arrays and incorporating other things

yoshi

My suggestion:
Spot on, my project was around half-way complete, but I did very thorough documentation and explained why it wasn't complete and why that occured, etc. and I got full marks.

-X-

HSC
N/A
My suggestion:
The greatest tip you can ever get. Doing something too complex will not only take too much time but make your documentation allot more difficult (more risk of loosing marks)....ie me. :(

J0n

N/A
HSC
Originally posted by -X-
The greatest tip you can ever get. Doing something too complex will not only take too much time but make your documentation allot more difficult (more risk of loosing marks)....ie me. :(
Also, doing something too simple does not give you enough stuff to document. You need to find a balance which is just in between.

Winston

HSC
I'd suggest even if the application has to be unoriginal, you should still do it, i mean i reackon a game really isn't good, but something that incorporates the use of arrays, regular expressions, sorts etc... should very well be in, like stated before a mini word processor will be about the best to do these.

sunny

meh.
HSC
We're all forgeting something here.

The marking criteria.

If the marking criteria has the majority of the marks for documentation - then settle for simpler programming and do better documentation.

If the marking criteria has substantial marks for program complexity - then write something more advanced.

The chances are everyone's marking criteria will be different. X wasted time on writing a complex program and lost marks - my marking criteria was leaned towards complexity and I got marks.

There is no right suggestion. Look at your own marking criteria and make up your own mind.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
i mean i reackon a game really isn't good, but something that incorporates the use of arrays, regular expressions, sorts etc... should very well be in
Creating a game has all those + more comlpex shit.....even my simple one did.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Creating a game has all those + more comlpex shit.....even my simple one did.

I phrased it a little shit lol... i think i just didnt like seeing people makes games, it was so eehhh unoriginal, and slightly boring, they soup up the program like they're decorating a car, it's not even good programming practices, alot people decorate it so badly it's lacking consistency and user friendliness.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Ok heres my 2 cents for a SDD major project... Do what you want to do... Your project will be ten times better because you put the effort and time into it.

Our Major project options were very broad... For example people could make games with RPG Maker (RAD approach) to using C++ or Haskell... I suggest you stay away from RPG maker or game makers, they do not teach you how to code and write algorithims for exams.

I did a Software Tutor in flash (yes it required code) and throughly enjoyed it (learning the course as I went along and got 97%)

Remember, do what you want to do... Your marks will be higher

But also consider the marking scale and teachers comments when making the project... Good Luck in all your major projects everyone

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
they soup up the program like they're decorating a car, it's not even good programming practices, alot people decorate it so badly it's lacking consistency and user friendliness.
Well a game is a game, theres not much consistancy required. BTW the decoration in my game where 10 minute mspaint job as you can obviously tell. :p But trust me no matter how simple it looks, it wasn't easy creating it. Hell even getting the object to move around the screen was difficult (using 2d vectors). I did btw start from scratch making the game, so no basecode or anything.

and i lost marks in the documentation (can't remember which part) but it did piss me off! :mad:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Well a game is a game, theres not much consistancy required. BTW the decoration in my game where 10 minute mspaint job as you can obviously tell. :p But trust me no matter how simple it looks, it wasn't easy creating it. Hell even getting the object to move around the screen was difficult (using 2d vectors). I did btw start from scratch making the game, so no basecode or anything.

and i lost marks in the documentation (can't remember which part) but it did piss me off! :mad:

I wasnt targeting it at your game i know it's hard to make, i'm just critcising idiots in my school lol, they make some azn card game and then have all these stupid character map words, it's so stupid and silly, and they have 52 Boolean declarations for each card LOL it was heck funny code i tell ya.

chris42

HSC
Yeah, I'm around to help as well. One tip with the documentation is to not leave it to the last minute, a number of people in my class got caught out and lost quite a bit of marks because of it.

I found that doing the documentation and the project side by side was the most effective way to get the best results.

Phobos

Originally posted by Ragerunner
I can't believe legitmately, that the school expects us to blow our money on a legit copy of a programming language to complete the course legitmately.

How many people actually paid for their VB or C++ ?

I sure as didn't
My school gives it out to ppl........

i need help with my major project thingy coz im crap at SDD
im doing a student diary and im not asking for u to do it for me im just asking for ideas etc....

Last edited:

chris42

HSC
Originally posted by Phobos
im just asking for ideas etc....
Well in terms of a student diary it's good doing as you go along, like for me I wrote a bit of code that made my pieces in my game move, so in the student diary I said "Today I was able to get the movepiece module to function.. might need some extra work."
20th of December 2003

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)