Software Eng / Computer Science Double Degree? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Sup.

My desired course for uni is software engineering. Now I've been looking into doing a double degree of software engineering / science, and the uni resources I have read say that I cannot do computer science and software engineering.

What is the reason for this?

Thanks

sunny

meh.
HSC
Computer science is very flexible. Essentially you can choose all electives so that you almost have it exactly like the seng degree. They can be so similar theres just no point.

HSC
sunny said:
Computer science is very flexible. Essentially you can choose all electives so that you almost have it exactly like the seng degree. They can be so similar theres just no point.
I though that's the entire reason you could do a double degree, because the core content of the two courses is so similar. But this makes sense also I guess.

dvse

HSC
N/A
Starcraftmazter said:
I though that's the entire reason you could do a double degree, because the core content of the two courses is so similar. But this makes sense also I guess.
The way double degrees work in AUS is by counting the subjects from one major towards all non-core requirements of the other. This is why you can get, say, a BCom/BSc in 4 years instead of 7.

The best advice I have ever been given regarding education is to do what is hardest and most general. If you want a somewhat proper education, forget seng and do BSc/BSc comp sci / maths with honours in pure maths. That way at least you will need to think and won't suffer through worthless INFS subjects.

sunny

meh.
HSC
dvse said:
The best advice I have ever been given regarding education is to do what is hardest and most general.
qtf. Do comp sci and pick whatever subjects you want to do.

dvse said:
That way at least you will need to think and won't suffer through worthless INFS subjects.
qtf+2

HSC
dvse said:
If you want a somewhat proper education, forget seng and do BSc/BSc comp sci / maths with honours in pure maths. That way at least you will need to think and won't suffer through worthless INFS subjects.
What are INFS subjects and why are they worthless?

Also, I'm not an expert when it comes to maths, so doing a lot of it doesn't particularly appeal to me.

sunny

meh.
HSC
INFS = information systems

They're basically subjects about computing without the technical detail. Think of them as courses in computing (eg, spreadsheets and databases) for commerce/business types. At its worst you learn about the use of the power switch and the different kinds of plugs you find at the back of a computer.

In comp sci @ UNSW the only compulsory maths is two first year maths subjects + discrete maths and thats it.

dvse

HSC
N/A
Starcraftmazter said:
What are INFS subjects and why are they worthless?

Also, I'm not an expert when it comes to maths, so doing a lot of it doesn't particularly appeal to me.
See sunny's comment about INFS.

Maths was just an example, but in my experience it is the best choice if you want to have a strong computing degree that will allow you to work in more esoteric (and interesting!) areas, e.g. trading systems, computer vision, search. It may not appear this way now, but a lot of business IT and even shrink-wrap software development gets boring rather quickly.

It's hard to give a meaningful recommendation without knowing your interests, but a combined degree (doesn't have to be maths :) ) + honours year will likely be more rewarding and offer more options than seng.

I don't want to be controversial, but to me the UNSW seng program appears to be the outcome of strong and not necessarily correct beliefs held by a single person.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
My interests involve programming.

Whom is that single peson?
omg, you cannot be serious...

and you really didn't need to make a new thread either.

please don't come to unsw Starcraftmazter.

HSC
syper said:
omg, you cannot be serious...

and you really didn't need to make a new thread either.

please don't come to unsw Starcraftmazter.
Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

And it's always best to create a new thread when new questions arise, then to continue polluting other threads and taking them further off-topic. Please don't come to any other forum I am a member of >_>

Last edited:

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
And it's always best to create a new thread when new questions arise, then to continue polluting other threads and taking them further off-topic.
I fail to see how asking for more advice on what to study at uni would be off-topic in this thread..
Starcraftmazter said:
Please don't come to any other forum I am a member of >_>
Don't worry /b/tard, I stay away from fucked up forums like 4chan.
Starcraftmazter said:
Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
Anytime. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)