software engineering vs IT (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
I've gotten an offer to do a bachelor of science in IT and am thinking whether or not I should accept it, I'm currently doing software engineering but I chose it as I thought it would require little math and physics, but this was far from the expectations. I suck at math and don't enjoy it so hate my software degree because of the math subjects. There are a few shared subjects between both courses but my main concerns are the job opportunities, the software course goes in depth whereas IT just skims the surface of a lot of areas. Anyone have any help or advice?

Flop21

HSC
How many math subjects have you got to go?

At UNSW we just have to do 2 normal math subjects, math 1a and 1b, then discrete maths and then math is all done.

And also how much physics have you got to go?

turntaker

HSC
Maybe consider transferring to unsw next year. UTS comp sci courses arent amazing

astroman

HSC

At UNSW we just have to do 2 normal math subjects, math 1a and 1b, then discrete maths and then math is all done.

We have two math courses, followed by electrical engineering subjects. The math courses have tests every two weeks and require 80% to pass, if you fail a test, you fail the subject.

astroman

HSC

We have two math courses, followed by electrical engineering subjects. The math courses have tests every two weeks and require 80% to pass, if you fail a test, you fail the subject.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Depends what kind of job you want, the ICT course goes more in depth for the embedded/electrical side of software whereas Science in IT gives you more opportunity to learn about specific types of software development.

You can (and probably should) self learn more or the parts you miss anyway. Some people working in software development don't have degrees at all and there's been a recent trend towards "boot camps" in the US which would miss ALL of the theory, maths etc.

What about Signal Theory? That's all maths and is an ICT subject - Elec Eng students do Signals and Systems instead which is much harder, but Signal Theory is still supposedly very hard (I haven't done it yet due to scheduling issues)

Maybe consider transferring to unsw next year. UTS comp sci courses arent amazing
UTS doesn't have Comp Sci. If OP is having difficulties with MM1/MM2 at UTS, then math 1a and 1b in Comp Sci or Eng at UNSW will likely be an issue.

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
What about Signal Theory? That's all maths and is an ICT subject - Elec Eng students do Signals and Systems instead which is much harder, but Signal Theory is still supposedly very hard (I haven't done it yet due to scheduling issues)
Yea, that require prereq of mm2 so it will be really hard, I never chose software intending to do this much math haha so I think IT would be better for me.

Flop21

HSC
Okay so you're one math course down and only have one to go? Doable. Have you had any electrical eng subjects this sem? Like it or hate it?

I know your degree doesn't seem like a traditional comp sci or soft eng degree, but I can see the things your learning to be useful. If you can push through the things you don't like I think keep at it. But if you really can't and it's upsetting you, change. But please check the career outcomes of whatever degree you intend to transfer to, e.g IT.

There are things in my degree that I don't like, but I know I have to get through it. But overall I like it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yea, that require prereq of mm2 so it will be really hard, I never chose software intending to do this much math haha so I think IT would be better for me.
It's not indicative of the whole course, there are very few (if any) subjects in ICT (Software) that require what you learn in MM1/MM2. Off the top of my head, it's essentially just Signal Theory and maybe Intro To Elec Eng + Physical Modelling - and the latter don't have them as a prereq anyway as it's such a minor part.

So if maths is the only deciding factor, that's something to consider. But I suspect you'd probably prefer the IT course anyway as it's more directly related to software I guess.

astroman

HSC
Okay so you're one math course down and only have one to go? Doable. Have you had any electrical eng subjects this sem? Like it or hate it?

I know your degree doesn't seem like a traditional comp sci or soft eng degree, but I can see the things your learning to be useful. If you can push through the things you don't like I think keep at it. But if you really can't and it's upsetting you, change. But please check the career outcomes of whatever degree you intend to transfer to, e.g IT.

There are things in my degree that I don't like, but I know I have to get through it. But overall I like it.
I haven't done either math course, I scheduled it for the second semester. Anyways, the IT course seems much more interesting for me.

HSCExposed

HSC
I haven't done either math course, I scheduled it for the second semester. Anyways, the IT course seems much more interesting for me.
I'm in the same situation but doing comp science fml. I don't know if I should come to UTS and do IT or stay at Usyd and do Computer Science and Technology.

astroman

HSC
I'm in the same situation but doing comp science fml. I don't know if I should come to UTS and do IT or stay at Usyd and do Computer Science and Technology.
You'd probably still have to do the difficult math and physics subjects that come under the USYD course since its comp sci not IT.

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
It will be substantially harder to find a programming job with an IT degree. If you want to be a systems admin, software salesman, or business analyst (which are all well paid and respectable professions) IT is the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)