Software or Business Studies (1 Viewer)

stevey6404

HSC
Okay, I kind of posted this thread in the business section already but I found that it might feel a bit biased cause of course most people in the business section, would choose business.

Anyways, here's my problem:
I cannot decide between those 2 and for the past weeks, after my subject selection last week), I still cannot decide between business studies or software design and development.

My current selected subjects are:
-Ext maths
-Ext English
-Physics
-Economics
-Engineer Studies

I've talked to my current IST teacher (also teaches software) and he said I'll do well and that I'll love it. He's quite a nice guy and he's nice to me and everything. I asked him if we spend most of the time, like 75%, on practical and he said yes.

I also talked to 2 commerce teachers. 1st one was my commerce teacher and he answered in a philosophical way, asking where I see myself in the future and stuff. 2nd teacher told me she'll love to have me do business studies but she also hinted in the end that a variety might be a way to go.
I'm currently ranked 3rd in IST out of 40s and 4th in commerce out of 110s

I enjoy both subjects very much, but I've only experienced 2 years of those subjects, maybe more like 1 term because IST and Commerce are general topics.

Oh, in the future, I'm considering doing architecture, engineering, commerce/economic degrees. I really don't see myself in a position where I'm writing programs.

So, which one should I choose? Business or Software? And why.
Would it benefit my other subjects, or would it help the way I think about a problem etc.

Thank you.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Uhh. you have 12 units already. just stick with those and forget software and business lol :)

HSC
Um, you guys should get a better gps cricket team, but on a serious note :p software and business both scale down, but software is fun if u wanna do a lot of prac. however the theory is bull shit. and hard imo

HSC
i would say you should do business since it seems like you want to that later. still isnt that necessary to do either

stevey6404

HSC
Uhh. you have 12 units already. just stick with those and forget software and business lol :)
Ehh, can't.

Forgot to mention that our minimum is 13 units "To give us more room" according to every teacher I've asked but I see no difference between 12 or 13 especially if you're doing 1 unit subject such as SoR.

So yeah, I don't want to do 1 unit subject like religion cause it does not interest me.

Um, you guys should get a better gps cricket team, but on a serious note :p software and business both scale down, but software is fun if u wanna do a lot of prac. however the theory is bull shit. and hard imo
Eh eh, the 1sts? or the 16A's? Sadly I do not play cricket. :L Not interested either. You should get a better rugby team, kidding :L

Anyways, how do you read UAC Table A3 to determine the scaling? the HSC means seems to be scaled down but the standard deviation seems to scale up.
Is the greater the SD, the better a subject scale or is it the greater the difference of the SD between the HSC mark and scaled mark, the better a subject scales, or vice versa.

Last edited:

spoonbender

HSC
I do both subjects and I have to say I enjoy software more than business, but mainly cos we do (or we did) a lot of prac. I'm a bit biased towards software, but it seems like business would be a sensible option for you. I think Business and Economics overlap a bit and yeah, it seems useful to your future. However, seeing as you're already doing economics, if you want to keep your options open in case you change your mind between now and the end of the HSC then software would be good.

That's just my take on it anyway.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
i think you'd prefer sdd more
i just looked through the course myself, and found it very elaborate and interesting
im picking it like a subject for fun
lol

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I'd like to remind everyone NOT to base their subject selections purely on scaling. If you do that, you will have 2 hell senior years.

Personally, I dislike both SDD and Business, however in your case, pick SDD as Business is very dry in content and the overlapping with Economics makes it even more boring. Beisdes, if you don't like SDD, you could always change to business during the year. (for most schools)

Jordanman

HSC
SDD is awesome exept the theory.
It is more than programming computers
like with the world nowaday almost everything is don on computers and it can only get more computerised
so ii think that SDD is a good investment for the future
especially for me as i hope to become a programmer :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)