Software Piracy- How it got me.... (1 Viewer)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
what? piracy?

i hate pirates grrr

they are preventing the precious dollar bills that microsoft deserves

>=|

*sarcastic voice*

fatmuscle

HSC
giveit2me4free.com?

that's the one howie gave me
havne't used it, just registered.

kazaa and swapping CD's all the way

Actuarial Boy
HSC
[tmd] movies suck ass... i used to dl them a lot

these days id rather wait a month or two for it to go divx... so worth it

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
<Evangelist>

If you've got Linux, you don't need to 'pirate'! Everything's free (sans WineX and vmware)!!!!!1

</Evangelist>

Ahem. :mad1:

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo

If you've got Linux, you don't need to 'pirate'! Everything's free (sans WineX and vmware)!!!!!1
Good point... that is why i am in the stage of being converted :)
(excuse the religous pun)

sunny

meh.
HSC
On P2P networks they can just pretend to be other users downloading off you.

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i think they scan ur internet activity like incomming/outgoing traffic etc...

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
dont think they can scan your downloading... like i mean see what your downloading cause that would mean they would have to open up your packets, read them, then send them off. And u could sue them for invasion of privacy...

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i think they do that in america tho i heard from a friend's relative who lives there~

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
i think they do that in america tho i heard from a friend's relative who lives there~
haha... knowing americans they would sue straight away :)

marko

On P2P networks they can just pretend to be other users downloading off you.
thats pretty much the biggest risk of P2P sharing..

my advice: DONT share anything at all on kazaa, winMX, imesh etc etc.. let the other people get caught and don't lose sleep over being a leecher, the kazaa 'community' isnt worth getting busted over :p
it is because these programs are *dummy* p2p and its how the authorities catch people out fairly easily..by getting your ip and so on
the risks of *down*loading things from these are a lot smaller, mostly they're just after the uploaders

if you want to share properly, (though with australia's pathetic broadband services our uploading speeds are fairly limited) use IRC.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
so the bad thing about p2p is when other people get stuff off you or when you get stuff off other people?

marko

im not saying that either is safe.. but generally they (the government, bsa, record companies) are after the people who are uploading (when people get stuff off you) and dont really target the individual downloaders

if anyone more knowledgable knows differently feel free to correct me

yoshi

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
[tmd] movies suck ass... i used to dl them a lot

these days id rather wait a month or two for it to go divx... so worth it
Just thought I'd correct you on this, you might as well know what you are pirating if you're going to do it!

TMD is not a type of movie, it is the name of the group of people that rip and distribute their movies. I'm quite sure they use the DivX codec most of the time. They are lower quality because of two things: their movie sources are of lower quality (nearly always cams and telesyncs), and their encoding bitrates are quite small (as well as resolution). All of this results in a shitty (but first, which is important to some people) rip.

When you say you wait a month or two for it to "go divx," what probably happened is that a ripper (who is a member of one of the groups) got their hands on a screener or dvd copy of the movie, and (because of the higher source quality) they ripped it at a higher quality.

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Originally posted by yoshi
Just thought I'd correct you on this, you might as well know what you are pirating if you're going to do it!

TMD is not a type of movie, it is the name of the group of people that rip and distribute their movies. I'm quite sure they use the DivX codec most of the time. They are lower quality because of two things: their movie sources are of lower quality (nearly always cams and telesyncs), and their encoding bitrates are quite small (as well as resolution). All of this results in a shitty (but first, which is important to some people) rip.

When you say you wait a month or two for it to "go divx," what probably happened is that a ripper (who is a member of one of the groups) got their hands on a screener or dvd copy of the movie, and (because of the higher source quality) they ripped it at a higher quality.
no tmd isnt divx coding i dont think it is anyway...

newaiz wot i meant by divx is the dvdrips 700+mb ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)