Some Advice on Online Research (1 Viewer)

teach77

HSC
N/A
As a Society and Culture teacher with considerable experience, I have some advice for those of you who wish to use online forums and networking sites, like this one, for primary research for your PIP. Over the last few years more and more PIPs have been using less and less valid, reliable primary research and in order to access decent marks you need to avoid this trend. If you need to do a questionnaire, think about whether it is absolutely necessary for you to do so on the internet - can you do it by hand, in person? The PIP is all about you developing skills as a social researcher and becoming a more socially and culturally literate person, and if you never leave your desk and computer that's unlikely to happen. You also have to ask some very hard questions about whether the data you collect is valid and reliable - how do you know that people who are responding online are who they say they are? And how valid is your data if your respondents can view all of the previous responses before they answer?
Sometimes online research IS the only way, but most of the time it will be perceived by most markers as being a bit lazy, really. If you can do it the old-fashioned way, please do. And if you can't, be super-aware of questions of usefulness, validity, reliability and bias in writing up your PIP.
Sorry for invading the 'yoof' territory, but I have been increasingly concerned about the number of you who seem a bit misguided where this is involved. Most of you are working hard, and deserve to access the best marks you can!
All the very best for the HSC!:)

swittyprincess

HSC
hi
can u please tell me if my topic is reliable. my topic is " Does TV shows have a negative impact on a child's development?"
if so, how can i link it to S&C
hope u can help

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There is no such thing as reliability for a topic. A topic is an area of interest. What "teach77" refers to was whether your METHODOLOGY is reliable. This has got nothing to do with your topic.

In your case for instance, if you use an online questionnarie sampling 2 people and asking their opinions on what are the negative impacts TV has on childhood development, your methodology would be very unreliable. On the other hand, if you conduct the sample online questionnaire with 100 people asking for their opinions, then your methdology would be relatively reliable since you have sampled a larger representative of the population. And therefore, would enable you to draw valid conclusions based on your data.

bella13

HSC
Could some one please help me with my topic i have picked my question ; "Human life begins at fertilisation- when a new life comes into begin " science or religon ?"

And i'm extremly stuck on what information i need to include in mi final copy

My email address is a3izatalkin@hotmail.com
If any one could email with sum idea i would so grateful

thank you xox

HSC
sounds like an interesting topic, bella, good luck!

my teacher, whos a marker, says that you should limit your websites as sources to a minimal, one or two. i think that you should also show the marker that you know that websites arent a reliable source either.

but, websites are EXCELLENT as a starting base for your pip, to generate ideas. as long as you dont take what you read as solid facts. let them wander in your mind.

teach77

HSC
N/A
As an addition to my previous post, I thought I should let you all know that the Board of Studies has made an official statement regarding the use of online research methodologies. In the Notes from the Marking Centre HSC 2007 for Society and Culture, the Board says: "carrying out surveys 'off the net' does NOT constitute primary research". This is a clear statement to future PIP students that online 'research' will be poorly received - you WILL be marked down.
So beware!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)