Some confusions about Commerce/Science - Actuarial Studies + Maths + Stats (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey, I have some confusions about Science/Commerce course where you can do Actuarial Studies with double majors in Maths + Stats.

I looked at the Science degree component and according to the website, I need to have completed MATH1131 or MATH1141 or other maths to satisfactorily achieve major in Mathematics but I was looking through this recommended program and this doesn't have any of MATH1131 or MATH1141.

School of Mathematics and Statistics - With Actuarial Studies

I am pretty confused because that recommended plan doesn't seem to have everything I need to complete to achieve majors in maths + stats.

If someone could enlighten me of this issue, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cyl123

HSC
"The Level 1 and 2 Mathematics and Statistics courses are compulsory (bit see below on MATH2931) and the others are strongly recommended. MATH1151/1251 replace MATH1131/1231 in the formal requirements for a Mathematics or Statistics major. MATH2901 and MATH2931 are required for Part I exemption, and replace ACTL2002 in the standard Actuarial Studies major."

The recommended plan isn't very good imo, as it tells you to do ACTL3004 in 4th year... so you do not have all the part I exemptions by 4th year.

shinn

HSC
They recently changed the sample plan to meet new requirements of the commerce degree. As for ACTL3004, in the old plan you were meant to do it during the second semester of the 3rd year at the same time as ACTL3003. I guess that's what the 6uoc flexible core option is for.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey, I am doing MGMT1001, ACCT1501, MATH1151, and ECON1101 for the first semester which are the common Commerce courses. Am I doing it right (and what should I go for 2nd semester subjects?)? And also, would it be good to major just in Stats or Maths than trying to double major in both?

cyl123

HSC
According to the course outline on the maths website, you do discrete maths (MATH1081). Imo, you should do discrete maths instead of MGMT1001, because the main thing you learn in discrete maths is how to construct a formal and rigorous proof, which is very important leading into second year maths and is beneficial in MATH1151 and MATH1251. Also, it introduces you to mathematical notation, which lecturers like to use in other maths courses. Plus, it is one of the most maths interesting courses offered at uni (imho).

MGMT on the otherhand does not really influence future study (i think...) . The only advantage I guess is that your timetable will probably be better, because of the lecture arrangements of discrete maths (4 hours over 4 days uggh).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
According to the course outline on the maths website, you do discrete maths (MATH1081). Imo, you should do discrete maths instead of MGMT1001, because the main thing you learn in discrete maths is how to construct a formal and rigorous proof, which is very important leading into second year maths and is beneficial in MATH1151 and MATH1251. Also, it introduces you to mathematical notation, which lecturers like to use in other maths courses. Plus, it is one of the most maths interesting courses offered at uni (imho).

MGMT on the otherhand does not really influence future study (i think...) . The only advantage I guess is that your timetable will probably be better, because of the lecture arrangements of discrete maths (4 hours over 4 days uggh).
Well I have to do MGMT because it's a common commerce course. I will definitely do discrete maths in the 2nd semester then.

cyl123

HSC
If you want, you can defer MGMT to later years (i think the maths website suggest in third year).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)