some of the wording in the exam... (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Kiim2507 said:
I did 0.2 whatever that was lol

I did:
20.625mL = 1.6 standard drinks
Therefore 1 standard drink = 12.89...mL
12.89...mL/hour
= 0.214...mL / minute

I think thats what I did
i got this answer.few

PC

HSC
N/A
I reckon this year's paper was MUCH clearer than last year's paper.

But a few possible ambiguities.

I actually think Q23(c) is pretty clear. It says "Express THIS as a rate ..." and the THIS they're talking about is the one standard drink per hour.

Q24 (b) (iv) ... now that I think about it, is the probability relating to all the possible numbers formed from the cards, or is it now restricted to numbers less than 500? The answer would change from 1/15 to 1/12!

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
lol...people should stop saying scaling...it irritates me

this is how it works....lets say for example you get 85...that gets alligned to about 90 which is a band 6 and the BOS decides that yes your mark of 85 does qualify as this standard

then UAC (a seperate entity) basically scales your subject, so for e.g. according to last years scaling a 90 in GM gets scaled to about 72...hmm which isnt to flash, althought scaling is done a fresh each year a readily idenitfiable trend remains

EDIT: the 85 is your exam mark plus ur moderated assessment mark which ultimatly = your hsc mark

beksta21

HSC
xJennax said:
Yeah some was weird.
Also that question with the 5 cards with numbers...and then it asks how many numbers you can make. Then there's a question or two that ask the probability of the 'numbers' and I wasn't sure if it was the numbers on the card or the numbers the card made. :s

I thought the same thing!
Just stared at the question for like ten minutes trying to figure out what the hell they wanted....
Blah at the Board!

xJennax

HSC
beksta21 said:
I thought the same thing!
Just stared at the question for like ten minutes trying to figure out what the hell they wanted....
Blah at the Board!
haha I started doing it based on the cards then I was like "oh I think they mean the numbers!" so I crossed out that and did it again.

9deuce

MADE
HSC
I left that alcohol question.
Look at it like WTF!

Do they hire Indian immigrants to write the paper?

tess1990

HSC
Kiim2507 said:
I did 0.2 whatever that was lol

I did:
20.625mL = 1.6 standard drinks
Therefore 1 standard drink = 12.89...mL
12.89...mL/hour
= 0.214...mL / minute

I think thats what I did
Thats wat i did too...but everyone says it is wrong? It was such a lame questions!!!

henry08

HSC
N/A
I don't know what you are complaining about. I had no trouble with the alcohol question.

jess-i-k

HSC
i got slightly confused
but bullshitted my way through it like i normally do lol
curious did any1 else think the cheese question was totally dumb?
wat was the answer???
i duno if i did it rite
oh n wat was people's answers for why 70 yr olds are less than 80s????

Tarshy

HSC
Wouldn't the BOS check the paper to make sure that it makes sense? They should give us extra marks!!!

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
henry08 said:
I don't know what you are complaining about. I had no trouble with the alcohol question.
lol

Tarshy said:
Wouldn't the BOS check the paper to make sure that it makes sense? They should give us extra marks!!!
lol

Jaskkes

HSC
The only thing that makes general maths papers hard are the wording. If they spelled the questions out like "Ok we are asking you to use the cos rule to find the missing side, to find the height of the tree" then everyone would get 100% (or at least, all the people that would check the formulae sheet at the back and know how to use the cos rule)

So basically this is a test of 2 things, your ability to do relatively simple to understand mathematical concepts, and TRICK YOU into reading the questions wrong. Infact I wouldnt be suprised if they all gathered around a table and laughed at number '18636464' because she fell into their CUNNING plan to make you answer in standard drinks instead of mL.

However, they are smart people. So I give credit where it is due.

P.S. I do general maths, and the exam was very easy other then the fact that I fell for a few of these traps

Kiim2507

HSC
Hahah yeah I always wondered whether teachers like laugh at peoples maths answers/essay arguements etc
They'll probably laugh at my page of trying to figure out which formula to use for the financial question

Jaskkes

HSC
HAHA! I did the same until I realised I was answering the wrong thing.

I made sure to cross out completely (cross hatch crossout = unreadable) so that they would only see a big black scribble rather then the wrong working :D

Jaskkes

HSC
I know it is.

But this is about the wording in the paper being deceptive, not about whether the paper was easy or not. Which it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)