Some questions on AOS (1 Viewer)

FroZenWaffleS

HSC
Ok I am very confused to what you have to do in Part 3.
Are you meant you create a link with all the texts you are doing or are you suppose to link your prescribed text to the related material and BOS related material?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
There are two main ways you can approach section 3 of paper 1:

1. You can write your essay in this format, more students do this one:

Introduction of your prescribed text, stimulus booklet text, and your other related text(s)

Main Body, addressing each text in separate paragraphs in the order mentioned in introduction, ie prescribed, then stim book, then related texts.

Conclusion

2. Write an integrated essay which links the ideas from each text. You still have your intro and conclusion, and the main body is a series of paragraphs where you write about all your texts on an idea or point per paragraph.

I hope that helps. :)

P

pLuvia

Also adding, you should have a thesis you should argue by, always addressing the thesis and the topic at the end of each of your paragraphs.

Preferred number of texts are as followed:

2 - 3 compulsory texts
1 Stimulus Booklet text
1 Related Text

You should always compare and contrast each of your text, meaning your texts have to be linked in some way or another

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
Also adding, you should have a thesis you should argue by, always addressing the thesis and the topic at the end of each of your paragraphs.

You should always compare and contrast each of your text, meaning your texts have to be linked in some way or another
I definitely agree with the first point - its a vital component of any essay that you have a point to make otherwise its not really an essay, its more a synopsis of techniques which is something to be avoided. Its also always important to compare and contrast your texts to provide a strong foundation for your argument or thesis. I'd suggest the second method mentioned by Riviet if you want to pull this off to maximum effect:
Riviet said:
2. Write an integrated essay which links the ideas from each text. You still have your intro and conclusion, and the main body is a series of paragraphs where you write about all your texts on an idea or point per paragraph.
However many students find this a more difficult method to follow(I know I did when I started off) so don't fret too much if that isn't your thing - the first methods fine as long as you maintain a solid argument.

pLuvia said:
Preferred number of texts are as followed:

2 - 3 compulsory texts
1 Stimulus Booklet text
1 Related Text
pLuvia, I think you mean compulsory texts regarding if you do poetry, and the separate poems are actually fragments of the one text so it is more correct to say one compulsory text. It's also usually reccomended that you do more than one related text if possible.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
If you are able to write your essays, fully synthesised and arranged via techniques and concepts of journey you have a far higher chance of being in the top two bands (especially of obtaining a band 6). HOWEVER, if you are not confident in your ability to do this properly, than stick with a thesis and structure where you discuss each text by itself and then wrap up your argument with a summation of the links between them in the conclusion - you are still perfectly able of obtaining a band 6 this way (though your uni lecturers are going to want you to abandon that form and go with the first)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)