some trivial questions (1 Viewer)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
blacksunset said:
im doing a bachelor of arts
blacksunset said:
i was just curious about the email thats all.

and this is a question that makes me feel extremely silly but i wanna ask it so im clear.. so no laughing.
im working out my majors and courses, and i get 2 majors and 2 electives.
is there a difference between majors and electives in what u do in the course? because iv seen some awesome courses, but i was worried that by doing them as an elective rather than a major, i wont get to do as much? or something?
someone help please, im feeling very silly..
ok, say you want to do two majors - australian history and music. in your first semester you have to do:

2 x Arts 1st yr courses (choose two units in the arts faculty... eg. german or chinese)
1 x Arts 1st yr course Major A (choose a unit that makes your australian history major)
1 x Arts 1st yr course Major B (choose a unit that makes your music major)

unit X is the same regardless if it's an elective or if it gets used as a major. you can do advanced economics 4 as part of your arts degree, what you'll be learning/be assessed on will be exactly the same as what a 4th year economics nut learns/gets assessed on. except for you it's an elective and for the other guy it's a compulsory course which gets counted to his major.

hope that answers it :)

Last edited:

blacksunset

HSC
i think i get it haha
i was just worried about choosing a course, and having part of it compressed rather than getting to do the whole course because id chosen it as an elective rather than a major?
eg health medicine and the body in arts, i wanted to do that as an elective, but you get to choose parts of it, and i didnt know if the choice would be as broad if i did it as an elective rather than a major

kretzy

HSC
Could someone please explain the timetabling tool. :eek:

I tried to figure out a rough timetable and I was totally confused by it. The melbourne uni system generates a timetable with all your required classes then by clicking on a class you can see what other time options you have. The ANU tool seems to show all available classes and then you have to (de)select the ones you want and try to avoid sad smilies. *blonde moment*

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
kretzy said:
Could someone please explain the timetabling tool. :eek:

I tried to figure out a rough timetable and I was totally confused by it. The melbourne uni system generates a timetable with all your required classes then by clicking on a class you can see what other time options you have. The ANU tool seems to show all available classes and then you have to (de)select the ones you want and try to avoid sad smilies. *blonde moment*
what units are u doing?

Evilo

HSC
ok im going to go out on a limb here and say you will probably only need to go to one of the groups in LAWS1203. So being in one of those groups means you have to go for all 3 lectures with that group name.
As far as the other tutes go, you sign up to them in your 1st lecture. With comp they are done online, no idea about the other subjects.
Dont worry about all the :( faces. You will only need to go to one tutorial for each subject (even though they all have 5+ tutorial groups)
Maybe jason can shed some more light.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
kretzy said:
Most likely LAWS1201, LAWS1203, INFS1001 and COMP1710
- i advise you to pick Large group 3 (you only have to pick one) as it will minimise clashes
- on Tuesday you will have a clash between the second half of INFS1001 and COMP1710.
- you have Friday off

Last edited:

kretzy

HSC
That's great, thanks guys! :)

I think it was the group thing that was confusing me. So for the clash on Tuesday morning I'll just have to miss one of the lectures I suppose - hopefully one of them will be audio streamed. Very happy about Friday too.

HSC
Does ANU allow mid year transfers? By that I mean transferring with departments, not from a different uni to ANU.

Evilo

HSC
speaking to jason on msn, he says yes. ;)

He also says you've gotta pay a fee (he thinks $100) and give a "reason"

Jason said:
not some dickhead reason like "i forgot to change early this year"

Evilo

HSC
god jason, what would BOS do without you spoon feeding everyone :hammer:

btw you're on 199 posts! congrats

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
kretzy said:
That's great, thanks guys! :)

I think it was the group thing that was confusing me. So for the clash on Tuesday morning I'll just have to miss one of the lectures I suppose - hopefully one of them will be audio streamed. Very happy about Friday too.
no probs. if you're having trouble understanding the timetable generator just select one course at a time... it's much more self explanatory that way.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
god jason, what would BOS do without you spoon feeding everyone :hammer:

btw you're on 199 posts! congrats
thanks d00d!

i'm gonna use my 200th post for this reply

edit: fuck

Evilo

HSC
EDIT - only 800 posts before you reach my level ;)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
01169 said:
Thanks. What are the rules when transferring? I'd imagine you probably couldn't transfer from Engineering to Actuarial Studies. And what happens with the courses in the first semester that you didn't do?
- any units that are common in both degrees can be credited.
- any units which aren't common in both degrees, the units you did in engineering can be used as an elective in your actuary course (the actuarial studies degree has 5 electives).

i.e. if you did "physics 1101" you can credit that to your elective in your actuary degree.

- 3 units, assuming they aren't required in the actuarial degree, will be uncredited
- because of that you will no longer have any electives to choose from in your actuary degree so it is very rigid in terms of choice
- you will be classed as a 2008 student, which means fees will be more expensive.
- any courses you haven't done that you have to... well you'll have to do them at a later point in your degree.

(i've researched transferring before... at the end of the day you have to be really adamant to get out of your degree, it shouldn't be treated as a whim)

Last edited:

HSC
Thanks for the info. What would the chances of transferring from IT New Media Arts to Digital Arts be. IT NMA has 2 possible courses that are similar (based on the fact that you get accepted though an interview). Digital Arts doesn't seem to have that many places though, so probably not likely. I was just wondering, really. I'm still content with IT, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)