something interesting I found for the 1 vs 2 related texts (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
As quoted from last years marking comments on the AOS: Highly developed responces showed a discerning choice of texts and supported an insightful understanding of the the concept of journey and added substance to the analysis. The majority of candidates in this range chose to discuss three texts with perceptive and focused detail. Texts were supported skillfully with reference to purpose, structure and language features.

In my opinion it seems like the higher ranged responces last year were your one related text essays.

lissamaher

HSC
I read the same comments from the marking last year and through looking at samply high range answers, all of them have three text, that is two additional texts as well as the stimulus text.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I wouldn't refer to two additional, because there's only so much you can write in 40 minutes, and it would be hard to show an even amount on that many texts..

jamiedumas

HSC
thats crap, if you stick to ur prescribed, stimulus booklet, and two related texts you have something to fall on if you fuck up some other analysis

Dr_Doom

HSC
tamorapierce13 said:
It's definitely possible; I've done it before. It depends on the individual: how fast you can write and whether you're comfortable doing it that way. Your prescribed text would also be a factor -- mine is The Tempest, so that's one text. If I were doing Poems, I probably wouldn't pick two related texts. Anyway, I cut off time from Section I because personally it's the fastest for me to answer.
I saw in the 2002 standards package. Someone wrote 8 pages for section 3! 8! I can probably get 3 and a half max with non stop writing. :|

nat271557

HSC
I only plan on doing one related text
but the only problem is that theycan even possibly ask u to do a minimum of two and sometime two stimulus booklet texts.:headbang:

zedzed

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
I saw in the 2002 standards package. Someone wrote 8 pages for section 3! 8! I can probably get 3 and a half max with non stop writing. :|
.....then you're screwed. quality matters but so does quantity. you can't possibly analyse 5 texts in 3 and a half pages. plus your essay will look totally unsubstantial next to other 5 - 8 page essays.

Dr_Doom

HSC
nat271557 said:
but the only problem is that theycan even possibly ask u to do a minimum of two and sometime two stimulus booklet texts.:headbang:
It's very rare though. Most likely this year will be One stimulus and at least One additional.

Dr_Doom

HSC
zedzed said:
.....then you're screwed. quality matters but so does quantity. you can't possibly analyse 5 texts in 3 and a half pages. plus your essay will look totally unsubstantial next to other 5 - 8 page essays.
Maybe I should write bigger

Dr_Doom

HSC
tamorapierce13 said:
How many texts are you writing about? If it's four, it should be more than 3.5 pages of analysis. If you're doing 3, then you might want to add on another related. Or, alternatively, practice writing bigger and spacing your words out a little more.
Yeah I'm doing 4 or 5, depends on the question. I'll practice writing 'spacey' or using alot of paragraphs..

HSC
nat271557 said:
They can't ask you to do two stimulus booklet texts...
anyway, you should only do 4 texts, not 5 my teacher says..but it depends on your set text...if you are doing poems then you do TWO poems, ONE stiumulus booklet text and ONE of your own..whereas if you are doing the Tempest for example, you should do TWO of your own...

Tim035

HSC
The HSC booklets have 24 lines with fairly indented margins. Personally I can get 9 - 10 HSC booklet pages done in 40 minutes, with A4 book pages I usually do 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 in 40 minutes. I can read my writing fine, even though its not neat I make my letter rounds and dont squash them together to much.
Ummm I average about... 6 to 7 words a line in booklet pages.

Dr_Doom

HSC
tamorapierce13 said:
4-5? Wow, your writing must be extremely small, or you have nowhere near enough of the amount of analysis needed. Or maybe we're talking about different-sized paper, here (some paper has ruled lines all the way down while others only have approx. 15 ruled lines).
I'm writing on an A4 pad (33 lines) with no margin.

zedzed

HSC
tamorapierce13 said:
4-5? Wow, your writing must be extremely small, or you have nowhere near enough of the amount of analysis needed. Or maybe we're talking about different-sized paper, here (some paper has ruled lines all the way down while others only have approx. 15 ruled lines).
yea, 3.5 pages would be okay for normal lined paper.

anyways, i used two additional texts in my trial and i did well (13/15). the teacher who marked it is an hsc marker. all the exemplar essays i've read used more than one as well.

Vicsta

HSC
theyl probably only as for at least one related text, very rare an plus all other hsc years have been at least ONE related text, as for me im doing lost in translation (film)

Dr_Doom

HSC
tamorapierce13 said:
Ah, well, I've just counted and the paper that I wrote my 5-page speech on also has 33 lines/no margins. There's on average about 7 words a line, because my writing is big.

Mehh, just go with the writing-bigger-and-more-spaces thing.
I average about 10 per line. I just tried spacey and it looks weird, like a cm between each word. lol

the_essence

HSC
Well as far as I was told by my teacher and many HSC lecturers/markers, it is best to use TWO related texts, One stimulus and ur prescribed text

the_essence

HSC
U guys are funny, counting the lines etc...

I average 12-13 HSC booklet pages in 40 mins. That's like 6.5 standard ruled a4 paper. I went really well in trials 14/15

Meh, but im so totally over it

nallask8r

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Why can't we type it up!! I would kill it!
you can dude, just snap your elbow or sumfin. worked for me. nah jks seriously if u have a broken arm or something they let you type (dont ask how).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)