• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

songs as ORTs? (1 Viewer)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
is it a good idea to use songs as ORTS?
and if you are using it, would you write about the really technical musical aspects as well?
i'm a music student, so i can write stuff about its timbral quality and stuff, but would it be valid in an english essay?

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i dont think the english markers would know what youre talking about
remember its an english paper, so you need to say english techniques not music techniques
they wouldnt know the musical context of texture (polyphony/homohpny etc) or tone colour etc
u can put in basic stuff and maybe have a little more of an emphasis on the music (eg my english teacher is a film and vid teacher so we do loads on camera techniques and shot composition) but dont get carried away, cos it will be in vain as they dont know wat ur talking about
and dont think that they will give u good marks cos they dont know wat ur talking about therefore it must be good. cos they wont.

warlivoecks

hey hey

I got a song for my ORT for AOS...Im Using Nelly Furtado's Song AND video Clip "try"

Its really fitting for me and i wrote about it in my trials and did really well...
You should focus on the lyrics, esp like rhythms and rhyme and how it helps create meaning, and if ur using video clip like me talk about filmic and cinematographic features...

peace out

JP

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
yeah theres nothing wrong with using an actual song, however you would have to find ENGLISH techniques in it, not emphasise too much on the musical aspects

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
as long as you talk about techniques in the lyrics as well as musical techniques there's no problem with using them - especially if you can link the two together. make sure with your music techniques that you can still link them into the concept of journeys etc.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
my main emphasis would be on the lyrics, but i was just wondering if i would have to talk about some of the musical aspects as well

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
No, you don't have to talk about the musical aspects. Lol, this isnt musicology. Put it this way, analyse it as if it were a poem i.e register, tone etc etc. Unless, you are studying the video clip, you shouldnt refer to cinematatography at all.

frazzle

HSC
I'm using a song as well, did pretty well in the trials, what i did was a combination of music and english techniques.

i don't think you should just focus on teh englush, of course it's better to throw in a few music techniques, maybe talk about it in conjunction with english techniques, otherwise you might as well just analyse lyrics, not a song.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)