songs (1 Viewer)

stareathesun

i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'
im looking for a song that has a good piano part (im about grade 4/5) but that also has a singing part that goes with it. Im sick of just playing by myself and want to be able to have someone singing along with me. Ive tried to create my own song but I seem to run out of talent, and im not one for writing lyrics.
I would write one with Stacey (hi stacey) but our songs just never seem to get off the ground. (Plus we need to record our improvs)
Anyways, help would be good if you guys can.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dunno...maybe some of delta goodrems stuff?
i dunno what 'grade' or whatever that would be (lol, im SO not muscial)

olay

HSC
alicia keys is really quite funky. :) songs in a minor that is..haven't got the music to diary of alicia. its a whole lot trickier than it seems. *thinks* actually...what sort of music are you into? oh you know what is gorgeous? i love playing 'foolish games' and singing it at hte same time - really get into it. anyway :S have a performance in about 45 mins...........gotta go prac!!!! O_O O_O O_O

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
this might be more appropriate in 'hobbies and interests' rather than the HSC music forum..?

olay

HSC
i think for assessment if you're doing singing and piano, the singing part is the lead instrument with the piano being acc..... i don't know, my piano teacher always told me to do one or the other cause ?ok i forget why? :) but she told me that cause i used to take singing lessons and considered playing and singing [together] for my assessments. what i did last time was cause we needed 3 pieces was 2 piano 1 vocal.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
you could always do something very unoriginal and sing "somewhere over the rainbow" (the piano i have for it is really nice :D)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Oh, by the way.. remember that for the HSC if you do a duet, make sure either the parts are equal or the lead part is the one being examined.

duvva

Depends on your style and your choice in music, but have you considered a jazz piece? Coz, you ca really make the piano take the front with solos in between and during verses and chorus and stuff. And you don't really need to have that much ability to pull it off, just a basic understanding if major and minor scales and maybe the blues scale...

stareathesun

i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'
yeah I guess so. I do like impro, but I dont think i'd like to do it in the examination. I like to pretty much get it all in my head (cause I dont play while reading music) that way I can get all the expression into my playing and not have to worry about the notes, it just naturally flows out of my fingers.
But yeah, i'll check it out I guess.
Anyone seen the movie "the piano"? cause im playing the theme music from that (if thats any indication to the kind of music I like).

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
ooooh i love the intro to the piano.....awesome piece!

anyhoo with the whole piano/voice stuff hav u heard any vanessa carlton stuff? shes pretty cool, has some hard and easy stuff. "wanted" is awesome, its in semi quaver triplets. hehe very fast and ur hand gets sore, but pretty impressive (played it at school once)

its all up to you, i can fire off heaps of pieces (just not at the moment, i have a uni essay to write!! :D hehehe)

lol good luck

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
oh yeah just to add to that, i also played 1000 miles (vanessa carlton again) at an assembly with a friend, sounded pretty damn good (if i do say so myself lol) with just the grand piano and lizzie's voice.

it was pretty easy to learn, i was about 6th when i did it and ive now done 8th.....lol not much of a guide there.

just fiddle around and see what you like...... man theres heap sof stuff out there. ask ur music teacher, im sure theyd know of pieces for voice and piano that would suit your own level

anyhoo back to this essay of mine......

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Yeah check out Vanessa Carlton...

Another few nice ones to look at would be Faith Hill.. "There You'll Be"

or maybe LeeAnn Womack " I Hope You Dance"

Just a few thoughts....... or go old school and have a look at some theatre greats.... like Sound of Music.. or Chicago maybe if you're into Jazz

hope that helped

the sax man

Originally posted by duvva
Depends on your style and your choice in music, but have you considered a jazz piece? Coz, you ca really make the piano take the front with solos in between and during verses and chorus and stuff. And you don't really need to have that much ability to pull it off, just a basic understanding if major and minor scales and maybe the blues scale...
Dont even need that. Play a trio piece. You should know a BIT about the scales already. Its EASY!! If in doubt about choosing a piece, check out some FAKE BOOKS, just huge books of jazz standards. Look through those for a suitably easy (or difficult) piece. If ya need a hand, there'll be plenty of Jazzers around to help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)