Sony exploud 190w speakers versus kicker 130w speakers (1 Viewer)

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
this thread, is started by me, sound noob...actually i know jack shit.

um, at JB hifi, the bloke recommened the 130w kicker which retails at 150 bucks,

while the sony with more wattage 190w, sony exploud sells for 53 bucks.

so, does that mean wattage doesnt really matter?

and also, please explain to me (the idiot), if this system setup is plausible for a starter budget.

headunit is a Sony mp3CD $147 with 4x50watts mosfet
speakers are 130watt kicker 6" connected to the headuni
amplifier is a Cadence Q3000 2channel 2x100rms at $275
and a pioneer subwoofer 12" 400 rms connected to the Cadence amplifier.

I tried doing research to understand this shit, but i dont get it. so ppls, especially u loquacious, tell me all about it!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The head unit is a good buy at that price - though i would check out Pioneer units in Strathfield Car radio...

130 and 190 are the peak wattages, basically these numbers dont matter. What is important are rms or nominal power this is what the speaker can handle continuously. It is this number that dictates how loud you can go. Kicker is generally considered a 'better' brand than sony and I would say that given the price difference there is a marked quality difference. They should be able to show you this in the store with the wall of speakers and units set up.

The amp is again a decent one though may be abit underpowered for the job. I would definantly suggest looking on ebay for amps the prices are much better and I havn't had any troubles with the ones I've bought on ebay.

The sub should be quite sufficient for your application. In terms of the power you want the amp to be deliverring (in RMS) about 2/3rds of what the sub can handle.

Things JB should have told you about: A box for the sub - could be another $50. Amp wiring - could be $80 (on ebay you can get it for $30). Installation cost JB don't charge a flat fee my guess is $100-$150.

My advice is to shop around go into Strathfield and see what kind of deal they can put togther. Strathfield in particular are willing to haggle - so exploit this. You are afterall going to be a fairly big customer buying a complete system.

One slight worry I have is that if your car has four speakers (say four 6") you will only be upgrading two which will throw the balance off.

7th Sign

HSC
go with the kicker its much better then the sony

oh and its not going to be 100 bucks to install it lol

maby just the hu hahaha

amp/wires/sub/speakers/all the shit

your looking at 300-400

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah what loq said, the number is peak wattage, if you are going to go off peak wattage, get something high like around the 400 mark
heres the difference
sony : brand sound noobs buy cause they think sony is good at everything and their friend told them explodes are cool
kicker: brand people with more knowledge buy[although i have different preferences but meh]

that system sounds a bit cock-eyed, i would suggest going to strathfield and see if their blokes no anything, i dunno how good it would sound with what you have worked out

if your car is large, invest in a box for the sub, it makes a bigger, heavier and more resonating bassy sound

just remember, a good system isnt all about the bass, u need a decent output from your speakers aswell, and my bet is u wont even use your system if u invest all that money, unless u gonna hang out at the beach with the system pumping, maybe you would be better off with some tiny ass speakers, and no sub

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
i got another deal from autobarn

Pioneer MP3 headunit 50Wx4 $259
Clarion AMP 4 Channel 50Wx4 rms, 100Wx4 MAX $299
Clarion PA12s SUB 12" in box 600W MAX $179
Clarion 16cm Coaxial 2 way 160W MAX $80

+ wiring + labour

= 1100

amp connects speakers and sub

headunit connects existing rear speakers

7th Sign

HSC
i got 240w rockaford rears :D got them for free....good shit maby get some

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)