• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SOR 2u band 6 cutoff (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
hey would anybody know the raw marks required to receive a band 6 in SOR 2 unit. no one has really written about this subject

thanx

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Smartalec got 88% which aligned to 90 this year.

mike12345678

HSC
lol thats not that good :(

as in the alligning of SOR 2u

Last edited:

smartalec

HSC
Smartalec got 88% which aligned to 90 this year.
these were my marks which gave me an aligned mark of 90:
6/10, 5/5, 15/15, 14/15, 17/20, 18/20, 8/10, 5/5
=88%

i honestly think they mark pretty easy though, i got 17/20 in my depth study for islam and only talked about the different parts of the hajj and linked it to the question and got 17 lol. ran out of time to talk about anything else.

mike12345678

HSC
lol but still.

can you tell me some of the way you prepared for SOR2unit?
some techniques used to maximise ur marks?

thanx

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I got a B6 for SOR1, so I think aligning would be even tighter than SOR2. I didn't check but I'm certain it was around 44/50 for 2011 (although can be as low as 42/43 depending on the paper and cohort).

SOR is pretty easy though. Nothing technically challenging, just a bit to remember. Do past papers as Section 2 is usually similar (although for 2011, it was a little different in the types of questions), and Section 1 is MC so that can be prepared via the online MC tester. Section 3 and Section 4 (for SOR2) can also be prepared through reading material and answering past questions.

It's probably the easiest to study for as there is only so much BOS can do to make questions different from the previous year.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
i slept in class. and I'm pretty sure riproot did as well.
I did nothing all year.
I only went to half the classes and the lessons I went to were the bludge lessons when we talked about ~life~ and everything.
I got 85% raw and 86 as my exam and assessment marks.
I honestly only did SoR2 over SoR1 because we went on an excursion to a Buddhist temple and because I enjoyed the class (like the teacher and students) and didn't feel like changing. Even though I would've got a band 6 if I dropped because my Religion and Peace essay is what killed me.

Last edited:

mike12345678

HSC
lol so basically do past papers and i should be fine?

and know my basic knowledge for each part

smartalec

HSC

definitely. i honestly don't even really have very good notes, I just used the textbooks for info and added the words vibrant, dynamic and living religion. I exaggerated a bit, because before the hsc i went practice paper crazy. For every single individual/ethics/practice i did, i answered at least 5-10 short answer questions and wrote quite a few essays and 5 mark answer responses. I also wrote intros which showed how I would 'approach' a certain essay question. E.G for one exam question on Islam, my thesis was that it centralised around submission to Allah and then inserted info about my practice, ethics and individual. This worked well for this years question (something about islam is about compassion...') and i basically went with the thesis that it was all about compassion for Allah.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

tbqh, I never did a past paper.
I went to and then got bored. Lol
I never did an essay for buddhism before the HSC (did short answer in trial) and got 18.5/20 in the HSC for it. So whatevs.

Also, band 6 cut-off changes depending on what questions you pick in the exam.
I got 85% in the exam but that only went to 86 because buddhism was easier than Christianity and Islam this year.

mike12345678

HSC
yea true

do they mark easier then other subjects or are the exams easy because the alligning of this subject if bad.

and also the option alligning comes into which you chosse? wierd

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
yea true

do they mark easier then other subjects or are the exams easy because the alligning of this subject if bad.

Nah, they don't mark easy. I deserved my marks for what I wrote and got pretty much what I expected for everything. It's just the BOS being cunts.

It's optional scaling because they scale the difficulty against the different questions you can pick. It has to be done to make it fair I guess, but it's not aligning because it isn't direct linear mapping, it's compared to different sections. That's why scaling is scaling because it's comparing different subjects, not just a bring up or pull down of what the uac thinks is difficult or easy.

D94

HSC
N/A
yea true

No, they mark the same. That's where the aligning comes in. They mark first and then align, not the other way around. Aligning is carried out fresh each year, so there isn't a set standard. Of course the options have separate aligning - some questions may better suit a depth study than another, so again, that's where the aligning comes in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)