Sorry for the stupid question. But how do people get low ATARS? (1 Viewer)

rebeccatommo

HSC
Hi,
Okay sorry your probably all like "Is this girl stupid?"
but what exactly contributes to getting a Low ATAR? Besides basically bombing out on tests/assignments etc.
The reason why im saying this, is that im scared i'll get a really low ATAR and probably wont get accepted into any Uni's.
I want to do Graphic Design at ACU (or any Uni tbh) and their cut off is around 55+ for that course.
Im doing alright getting a 70+ in all my subjects at school and my rankings are pretty good aswell, minus one subject which im basically failing and I have ten units. So everything goes towards it...

Does anyone think i'll manage to get an ATAR above 50 at this point? :|

enoilgam

HSC
Well, there are a lot of things to consider. First, people have varying ideas of what a "low ATAR" is - for some, an ATAR of 95 is low, whilst others would classify anything less than 50 as being low. From your post, I'm going to assume that you mean a below average ATAR (say less than 60). I'd say people get ATARs like this for the following reasons (listed in order of significance):

Motivation: Put simply, some people just dont care enough to try.
Work Ethic: Quite a few people fit into the category where they believe that school is important, but they are too lazy to actually put in the work needed to do well.
Apptitude: Some people just arent that good at school and even with a strong effort all they can manage is a low ATAR.

If you want us to give you an ATAR estimate, post your ranks and school ranking.

rebeccatommo

HSC
English Standard: 21/68
Visual Art: 12/25
Design & Tech: 3/6 (yes, my class is very small)
General Maths: 38/51
Ancient History: 4/10
and I do Catholic Studies but its a non ATAR subject...

I cant find/dont know my schools rank but in 2010 it was ranked: 302 (If thats any help)

Thank you (Feel embarrassed posting my Ranks... Eeeek)

rebeccatommo

HSC
Thank you!
If i managed to get a 60 ATAR. I would be happy enough :)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
I'd say with your current ranks, I can quite confidently say you're looking at a 55+ atar :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)