Sorts/Searches in the exam (1 Viewer)

Fat

Previously Ive been asked to right pseudocode for finding the max/min in arrays (half yearly) and for a binary search (trials), but in regards to sort (Bubble, insertion, selection) algorithms the most Ive been required to do is identify what type of sort algorithm they have given us. How likely is it that they will ask us to write a sort algorithm rather than a search? Also besides what I've listed above, inc linear, are their any other algorithms that need to be learnt off by heart?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Dario

HSC
It is highly likely you will need to write one of those algorithms in the HSC. It will, however, will not be in isolation. When you are asked to write one of those algorithms, it will have to be incorporated in the solution of a much larger problem. Also, I don't think you need to learn them off by heart, you can deduce the algorithm in the exam if you understand the logic.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I suggest you go through the document entitled "Methods of Algorithm Description" which was developed by the Board for the old Computing Studies courses. It goes through all of the popular algorithms, and includes fully-worked solutions to problems that might be asked involving them.

I've added it to the SDD notes section of the site.

T

tactic

they might give you the code for the search but have the main aspects of it missing and you will have to put the proper commands in

Fat

Thanks alot Lazarus you've been a big help, algorithms give me the most trouble so hopefully i'll ace this exam. (beers all round if i do).

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you take a peek at the syllabus, you will find that students learn about the standard algorithms, and recognise them, ie, you need to know what it is when you see one.

So I don't think the chances of having to write one from scratch is that high, but to be able to recognise them you need to know the the logic anyway - so you should be able to make it up from that anyway :)

Fat

Why are their all these senior members giving half assed, no idea replies just to raise their post count? Rhetorical question, don't bother answering. The only useful replies on this page were from lazarus and tactic, btw thanks again.

AcCeSs-DeNieD

Must you go off at people trying to help you?

If you take a peek at the syllabus, you will find that students learn about the standard algorithms, and recognise them, ie, you need to know what it is when you see one.
sunny here is saving you from learning something that you do not have to learn, thereby letting you learn something more useful and benefical to your SDD exam....

Thanks in advance for your reply.
that's some thanks you show toward other members....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)