sources on vlad the impaler (1 Viewer)

fijitalia

HSC
researching this man, i've been searching for sources that might shed a hagiographical light on him as a person or leader. his cruelty may have been just that, cruelty, or it could have been an act of retribution for the killings of his brother and father.
he's the controversially original dracula, by the way.
you may have to have specific study on him to have sources, but if anyone has any more selective or rare sources with a hagiographical approach it would be interesting as i feel like i've exhausted australia of sources

X

xeuyrawp

I can't be much help other than recommending Treptow's book, Vlad III Dracula: The Life and Times of the Historical Dracula, which I got after a recommendation from H-Net: Review.

Other than that, good luck on such an interesting topic! :)

Zenaria

HSC
Hey! I'm doing Vlad the Impaler for my major work too.
I've found that if you compare the Russian/German/Romanian pamphlets you can actually find discrepancies in that to see how the Russians and Romanians portray him in a good light and how the Germans just try to trash his name.

For books I'd recommend Radu. R. Florescu and Raymond T. McNally who have written two books together on Vlad and they're really thorough and basically has everything you need to know about the historiography of him. You can find the stories in In Search of Dracula written by these two. They also compare the variations of each other stories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)