Southern Cross Lismore: Ba of Media (1 Viewer)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Anyone out there doing this course for 2005?? Or am I the only Lismore girl here?

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Im hoping Ill get it in the lat eround ..I got BA though.. but I want BA media so fingers crossed!

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
I'm doing the BA arts, media & communication course this year at SCU.. i got in automatically thru Completing a Diploma in Advertising at Macleay College..

they have a small campus in sydney, well actually its within macleay college, in the american express building in the city..

Its a degree in 2 years (including college last yr) they crammed it in. Pls we dont get uni holidays, its kinda like tafe, 10 weeks study, 2 weeks hols.. which is ok i guess! il come out with a degree at the end of the year!@! (considering i pass) :p

so cool! bit expensive but

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Okay, so a year has passed: My review of first year Ba of Media..

The first semester I did:

Learning Technologies and the Academy*
Intro to Media Studies*
Desktop Media*
Intro to Written Texts

* = compulsory

Learning Technologies and the Academy

..was a waste of time unless you don't know how to write an essay. It basically involves the history of the university (Ros giving a lecture about socrates etc with some videos in between) and by second week everyone wises up and skips classes. We all skipped them because the final assignment was choosing an era/topic in the entire history of universities and for example, if your topic is on Socrates, then how is 1970s universities and the right to education etc relevant to you essay? Plus what makes this unit a little silly is people who are in their final year of uni and didn't do this foundation unit in first year, have to do it in third...umm wouldnt they already know how to write an essay by now?

Introduction to Media Studies

Generally it was a good overview of the media. The "tutor" we had wasn't a tutor at all. She didnt know the first thing about teaching or the topic at hand and marked on a very biased angle - so watch out for that! (pm me for her name if you're worried!) This unit involves the usual: presentation etc and an essay that will confuse the hell out of everyone at the end. I suggest picking the head lecturors brains about the essay if you want a good result.

Desktop Media

I found this unit fun. I was already used to Photoshop and computers etc but it helped me brush up on some skills. You'll be working with macs and they're awsome! (getting a powerbook as we speak) Its a very basic unit - it teaches you how to post on forums...which I think you can do... and put together an image/magazine style assignment. If you get Issac he's awsome.

Intro to Written Texts

The content was full on! As in, expected to learn post colonialsm in a week... But the tutors/lectorors are awsome. They will help you out. Not going into it much because it's an elective.

I hope this helps a little.

Generally I found that if I wanted to become a real journalist, I had to get the hell away from this uni. It has taught me nothing in that field. It really depends what you want to do and where your goals are I guess.

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
haha,.. glad i dnt have to go to lismore!!

the only subjects i do are:

foundation in media studies
international media studies
media and new technologies
entertaining journalism
communcation and culture
professional placement
film studies
ways of knowing
australia/asia
borderlands
unruly subjects: citizenship
scriptwriting

u done any of these? or heard about them?

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Agnes2810 said:
haha,.. glad i dnt have to go to lismore!!

the only subjects i do are:

foundation in media studies
international media studies

media and new technologies
entertaining journalism
communcation and culture
professional placement
film studies
ways of knowing
australia/asia
borderlands
unruly subjects: citizenship
scriptwriting

u done any of these? or heard about them?
Only the ones in bold I've finished and the ones underlined are the ones I'd be doing this year.

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
MissMacbeth said:
Only the ones in bold I've finished and the ones underlined are the ones I'd be doing this year.
ah ok.. mayb we can help each other out on them heheheh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)