Sparta Help (1 Viewer)

princesskt

HSC
Hey guyz, im doing my notes (again! argh) for sparta, but i realised im missing some stuff lol. Can pplz help me with:

Technology: weapons, armour, pottery
Economic roles of the Helots
Economic Exchange: use of iron bars, trade

I think thats it, oh wait, what are the artisans? Lol, I don't think we ever did that in class.. hmm.. thanks guyz

lauraa2407

HSC
Technology: weapons, armour, pottery
Economic roles of the Helots
Economic Exchange: use of iron bars, trade

Weapons and Armour...
Spartan hoplitse were equipped with high quality weapons and armour made from bronze. Spartans were forbidden to carry out such work, so their armour was most likely made by the Periokoi. The standard armour consisted of a helmet, breastplate, greaves and a shield, while the weapons included a spear and a sword:

Bronze helmet - usually crowned with horse hair crest to make the hoplite appear taller and more intimidating.

Breast plate - worn over a linen tunic. Bronxe breastplates were sculpted to resemble chest muscles.

Hoplon - or shield about one metre in diameter, made of wood covered with a sheet of bronze on the outside.

Greaves - made of bronze covered the lower leg like metal shin guards.

Wooden Spear - between 2.5 and 3 metres long with a bronze spear point.

Short sword - of iron or bronze was carried but seldom used, as it was the weapon of last resort.

Helots economic role

The helots were the property of the Spartan government, attached to state owned land (kleroi). They were controlled but not actaully owned by individuals and could not be bought or sold.
Helots did the farming which freed Spartiates from the need to work and enabled them to make their contributions to the syssition, a requirement for citizenship.
The surplus produced by the helots was used to trade with the periokoi, who provided them with manufactured goods, including the weaponry and armour.

Economic trade
The Spartan state did not use metal coins for currency, but instead used iron bars which may have symbolised a transaction rather than acting as cash. Plutarch explains that Spartan iron money could not be used elswhere in Greece. The iron bars restricted the hoarding of money.

hope this helps : )

Darus

HSC
well she covered it pretty much perfectly, might want to add that the helots also did construction, and that the Periokoi handled all trade, even if officially according to spartan law, trade and exchange of currency wasnt supposed to happen, there was however a harbour to the south so there was trade.

Oh and that they used iron bars is disputed by some historians, its only a recent discovery.

Btw, how on earth can you think your going to fail with ease at ancient history, or didnt any of that come outa your head. :p

on a final note, i doubt ill visit this site much after my hsc finishes, so if you or anyone else needs help with ancient history, sparta or delian league preferablly, either pm, msn or email me. Coen24@hotmail.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)