Sparta' impact During the Persian Wars (1 Viewer)

Rippo

Hey pple's...

I have an assessment coming up in the nxt coupla days. We have to write an essay: "Assess the contributions and impact of Sparta and its leaders during the Persian Wars".

Can anyone give me a hand where to start, what to look for etc... :(

kazan

im a herooo
at home, in the study, on a chair, infront of a co
HSC
diddn't the spartian king, well one fo them took his body guards and made a stand at thermopoli?(sp :confused: ) it allowed athens to be evacuated into the walls and the rest of greece to unite. also can someone tell me if the kings body guard was 100 or 300 i cant remeber,

*edit* if they haddn't done that, athens would have fallen probably, or so my teacher tells me, where just starting spartain society now and i swear he talks about this every lesson

Last edited:

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Spartan leadership in Persian Wars

Hi!

The obvious Spartan leaders to mention are Leonidas (King) and Pausanias (Regent for Leonidas' son who was too young to lead). Leonidas led the Greek resistance at Thermopylae, fighting with a vastly outnumbered force to the end, but holding up the Persian advance into Central Greece for a few days. Leonidas and the 300 Spartans
died in this battle. Pausanias commanded a larger Greek force in the decisive land battle at Plataea in Boeotia. He was able to unite a very disparate army comprised of contingents from most of the states in the Hellenic League, and overcome Athenian opposition to his tactics to route the Persians and drive them from mainland Greece. Another Spartan commander was Eurybiades who was nominally in charge at Salamis, but as Sparta had no navy or experience in naval warfare at this time, his leadership was token, the real leader being the Athenian Themistocles.

You will need to read up on the sources about all of this in order to get reliable quotes and references, but I hope this framework will give you a lead-in. Good luck!

Magister

Skryp

.The Master.
HSC
Woah man I have a shitload of stuff on this ay. Get at me if your keen & I'll see what I can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)