speculative fiction (1 Viewer)

Aussiechick

HSC
those that are doing cyteen - LUCKY U!!! Dune is such a crap book, its way complicated and very boring. Does anyone else find this?

jellybeenz

HSC
Dune sucks snake nuts!! But I finally got through it. Just force yourself to read it... you'll feel so much better when its over and can reflect on all the issues and characters which are far more interesting to discuss than to read about. In my humble opinion.

I have Handmaid's Tale but there is no way I'm reading it until I have to!!

rae

hey...

im doin spec. fiction too...ITS SO HARD!!!
we're doing lotr, dune and handmaidens tale...

dune is soooooooooo boring... i dont really get the political crap...

Aussiechick

HSC
*feels glad I'm not the only one who hates dune and thinks its boring*

I'm almost finished it now, and its still as boring as the beginning. Handmaids Tale was fantastic though, I'd read it again

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Hey i have done A Handmaid's Tale- which shocked me, as it made me think, whoa that could have happened/could happen
although I didn't enjoy it as much as Dune which I have just finished. I had alot of trouble getting into it, took me ages to read it, but it gets really good. However it is very complex (esp. with ecology and religion) and I had trouble understanding some parts of it, especially with Paul and what goes on in his mind.
Next term I will do Fellowship of the Ring- the movie
I know the books and the movies inside out so that will make it easier.

Its hard doing 3U english at my school, as I am the only person doing it, and I think the only person who has done it here. I have also gone through 3 English teachers since the start of Yr12.
so i would really appreciate any tips/notes with this subject as I don't really know what to expect. for example, essay techniques, what markers expect us to know etc

timrie6

HSC
N/A
another good related material could be 28 days later (movie)
i havent seen it yet but it has been reccommended to me

slipper

HSC
cyteen is THE worst book i have ever read.
hate it hate it hate it.

Dreamspirit

HSC
Rather amusing, I found Dune, the whole series, to be awesome. It's not like Star Wars and Star Trek. It has human human with human qualities that aren't stretched beyond the boundaries of sanity.
Anyways, I do realise there haven't been any posts in any of S.F forums :p

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
Skillo said:
Its set it about 150 years from now.
doing lotr, dune and handmaids tale..

btw.. isnt handmaids tale set in a time that has already come to pass ? ( much like 1984 ) xD~

finsihed lotr and doing dune..

the whole context thing with dune fits well with "R and G are dead" in advanced xD~

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
OMG, there are other people like me! LOL. I got stuck with Speculative Fiction, which my teacher and class love, and they always look at me weird when I say that I hate it. We're doing LotR, Dune and the Handmaid's Tale.

Dune is the most horrible book I've ever read in my life. I seriously felt like when I got to the end of each chapter I deserved a reward for making it that far. It was painful. I finished it though (thankfully) and it did get slightly better near the end. I've just started the Handmaid's Tale, and I love Atwood's writing style. I'm reading 'The Positronic Man' by Asimov for the assesment task we have to do and it's BRILLIANT. I highly recommend it. We've already done The Fellowship of the Ring and the reason I'm on right now is to research the essay question we got. I'm doing well with that, obviously :p.

Last edited:

bustinjustin

HSC
die spec fic diiiiiiiiiiiieeee

snickerdoodle said:
OMG, there are other people like me! LOL. I got stuck with Speculative Fiction, which my teacher and class love, and they always look at me weird when I say that I hate it. We're doing LotR, Dune and the Handmaid's Tale.

Dune is the most horrible book I've ever read in my life. I seriously felt like when I got to the end of each chapter I deserved a reward for making it that far. It was painful. I finished it though (thankfully) and it did get slightly better near the end. I've just started the Handmaid's Tale, and I love Atwood's writing style. I'm reading 'The Positronic Man' by Asimov for the assesment task we have to do and it's BRILLIANT. I highly recommend it. We've already done The Fellowship of the Ring and the reason I'm on right now is to research the essay question we got. I'm doing well with that, obviously :p.
omgomgomgomg
i cudnt have out it any better myself
DIE SPECULATIVE FICTION, DIE A HORRIBLE PAINFUL LITERARY DEATH!
Yers

HSC
when it comes to talking about its conventions..

seriously? *shoots herself*

its interesting, but its like gheyy at the same time. like it just confuses me and stuff \:

I HATE DUNE. CYTEEN LOOKS STUPID. WATCHING LOTR IS KILLING ME. and handmaids reminds me of a mental institution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)