speech Dilemma (1 Viewer)

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Hi , I am giving a speech for year 11 English ( speech is for advanced, although I do extension)

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone could suggest what register would be correct formal or informal?

I was going to write it informally, casually (as you do for speeches in years 9 and 10, with lots of words like “I” and “you” in it, also it would help connect speech to audience) but then I thought since it is an adv/ext class, that formal language would be appropriate to the audience and would demonstrate my effectiveness in writing stuff fancy.

On the actual assessment task marking criteria it says “ make it appropriate to purpose, audience and context”

So I was wondering for a year 11-eng class, formal or informal?

Thankyou so much for help. Btw the speech if for area of study ( I don’t know if that changes the register, but hey J)

By the way: I did not know where to place this thread so please disregard if you see it in another thread’

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Well the reality is that you have a bunch of Yr 11-ers in front of you but does the speech require to perform it in front of an imagined audience? Say, for example, a book conference of authors or something? Do you know what I mean?

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
Well the reality is that you have a bunch of Yr 11-ers in front of you but does the speech require to perform it in front of an imagined audience? Say, for example, a book conference of authors or something? Do you know what I mean?

no it doesnt, it just says for your english class

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
English teachers want you to follow PAL (purpose audience and language). Think about WHO you are talking to which is yr 11 students (they are the audience) what is the PURPOSE of the assessment (ie wat r u supposed to b talking abt) and what language is a appropriate. Teachers don't generally like you to dumb it down just bcoz the audience is Yr11 but it cant be overly sofisticated...so find a balance...the way u think is appropriate and wen in doubt ask a yr 12 student, yr 11 student or teacher...may practise with a friend and see wat they say

afta???

HSC
i lost marks last yr in yr10 for being too formal and unsuitable for my class audience.........

Kulazzi

HSC
maybe you should ask your teacher for more advice, i'd say formal but then you just posted that you got marked down on that last yr, i wouldn't say informal cos we're yr 11 advanced students, but then again, I'd say to ask your teacher for more advice

pebbles

HSC
Speech...

I'm doin the same assessment task, and am in the situation, but coz o all the ppl questioning it, ours got altrered to b "addressed to a year 12 group outside of NSW". Our teachers decided formal but with vocabulary understood by majority of classmates if at all possible. Hope that helps...

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
if u are presenting a factual speach, it should be formal... but not easy formal. use appropriate language (jargan for the topic) etc. if u are speakin as an appropriation of som1... then u must fit in2 the context and speak like them. i assume urz in the forma, so id got with that. that is 5 years of public speaking and debating, so i have an idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)